Nokia 6610i - opinions ?

Silvera

I have been thinking about replacing my Nokia 3310 with a modern replacment and saw an advert today for the Nokia 6610i (DID Electrical) for €99.95.

What are you opinions on this model ?
Reliable? Long battery life? Easy to use ?

I mainly use my mobile for just calls and texting, but extras like a camera would be nice.

Cheers,
Silvera.

Nice phone but old enough model. Screen has only 4096 colours as opposed to newer higher resolution models that have 65,000 colours.

As for DID's price, it's available on the O2 online shop [broken link removed] for €89 with €70 call credit, 100 free texts and free delivery. If you're a Pigsback member and link from there you'll also get 1000 points.

Thanks Crunchie.

The DID offer is the same albeit €10 dearer.

Have you owned a 6610i?
I'm wondering if it as easy to text with as my 3310?

I'm not concerned with having less colours etc.
It would be a big step up from my 3310!

Cheers,
Silvera.

I owned a 6610 Silvera, which is the same phone but without the camera. I was very happy with it and it is as easy to use as the 3310. The battery life was a little bit shorter than the 3310 but I think that's down to the colour screen. If you're not bothered about the screen resolution I'd say go for it.

Hi Silvera/Crunchie,

Am I right in thinking that the 'i' stands for internet?

Some time ago I heard some people in work talking about their phones having internet access and how one of them had mistakenly had it on for quite some time without them knowing and therefore run up quite a bill. Is it best to get a basic phone without one if you don't intend using same or can one just not activate the WAP option?

Cheers Crunchie, much appreciated !

I plan to check out DID's offer tomorrow.

Regards,
Silvera.

Hi suellen,

I believe if you just ignore the WAP function then you won't be connected to the net.

Having said that, my mother has a Sony Ericcson Z600 and the 'internet access' function is very easy to activate accidentially - although you can see a 'connecting to internet' display on the screen for about half a minute or so.

Still, I'm sure many people have connected accidentially just like your friend and run up a bill!

Best to read the instruction booklet carefully - or avoid a WAP phone

Silvera.

Silvera said:
I'm sure many people have connected accidentially just like your friend and run up a bill!

On the 6610 holding the 0 key connects so make sure you use your keylock

"On the 6610 holding the 0 key connects so make sure you use your keylock"

Just as I thought and the main reason why I posted above. Best not to have the option there at all!

Crunchie said:
On the 6610 holding the 0 key connects so make sure you use your keylock

Jeez, thats a bad idea - I have often forgot to use my keylock and found later that I had pressed keys accidentially when the phone is in my pocket (never actually phoned somebody that way though!).

BTW, If I purchase an O2 speakeasy 6610i, how do I transfer my current 087 number to it ?

Silvera said:
Jeez, thats a bad idea - I have often forgot to use my keylock and found later that I had pressed keys accidentially when the phone is in my pocket (never actually phoned somebody that way though!)

You can set keylock to come on automatically after a preset time on Nokias.

Silvera said:
BTW, If I purchase an O2 speakeasy 6610i, how do I transfer my current 087 number to it ?

See my reply on your other thread

Don't think you can on 3310. On the more recent ones (including 6610) it's: Menu; Settings; Phone Settings; Automatic Keyguard; On; then you can set the time delay you want.

sueellen said:
"On the 6610 holding the 0 key connects so make sure you use your keylock"

Just as I thought and the main reason why I posted above. Best not to have the option there at all!

You can always delete the WAP profile if you don't want to use it.

Locking the keypad (as mentioned above) is the best protection.

The risk of accidentally connecting to the Internet (WAP) is that same as accidentally redialling the last person called or accessing a speed dial number.

MonsieurBond said:
You can always delete the WAP profile if you don't want to use it.
How? I just bought a 6610i for my mother and, idly playing with it, managed to access the internet without meaning to.....

oysterman said:
How? I just bought a 6610i for my mother and, idly playing with it, managed to access the internet without meaning to.....

Press Menu - Connectivitity - GPRS - GPRS Modem Settings

You can Edit Active Profile.

You may be able to delete the relevant profile here.

I would guess that you should be can always ask your SP to disable WAP - from your bill - this should do the trick. You would then get "Unauthorised" or something when you try to connect.

Hi All,

I have been using my new 6610i for a few weeks now and I am very pleased with it (the free €70 call credit is a real plus!).

However, I have just tried to disable the web access (which is operated through the '0' button) with no success ?!

When I go through the procdeure mentioned above, I end up at 'GRPS modem settings' and/or 'GRPS connection' - neither of which leads to a place to switch off the WAP connection ?

How to Disable WAP on a Nokia Phone

Try these instructions which are for a previous model but I don't think the menu has changed much:

1. Press menu
  2. Scroll down to Services (you might find it quicker to scroll up from the bottom)
  3. Choose Services
  4. Choose Settings
  5. You now have a submenu with "Active Service Settings" and "Edit Active Service Settings".
  6. Choose "Active Service Settings".
  7. Choose a set e.g. Set 5 which has just default settings i.e. was not overwritten by service provider settings. You should be able to tell this from the name as the SP ones will have names like "CSD Roaming", "CSD Home", "GPRS Home", "GPRS Roaming".
  8. You're done! If you hold down "0" now on the main menu, you should get an error e.g. "Invalid Homepage - check settings".
  9. Note that you could alternatively use "Edit Active Settings" above and delete some settings, but I don't recommend this as you may want to restore WAP in the future.

Last edited: