Nokia 6230i - ID3 tags not working

Rebelman

I have copied music to a 1Gb memory card on a Nokia 6230i using the Nokia music manager software. All the songs have the ID3 tags, and they show up correctly in the software, but when I copy them across to the phone none of the information shows up - every song/artist name shows as a couple of squares. Anybody come across this before and if so, is there a fix for it?

Many thanks!!

Rebelman,

I'm fairly sure that I read something about this on the 6230i forum on expansys.ie

I used to own a 6230i, and had the same issue as you have. Didn't bother me that much though so never bothered to sort it out.
It might take a bit of time to read through the forum as the search function isn't great.

teddyk.

Hi Teddyk,
Thanks for the info - it ends up that if you convert the songs to AAC format that the nokia 6230i is not able to handle the ID3 tags, so you have to keep them in MP3 format! In MP3 format the ID3 tags work fine.

Thanks again.

I read somewhere that the Nokia in question can only read ID3v1 tags but the ID3 tags added to AAC files by some apps are ID3v2. Maybe that makes some sense here? Maybe there's also a firmware update for the phone that fixes this problem (or whatever other problem is hitting you if it's not this one)?

Hi Clubman - thanks for the tips. To be honest I don't use the player on my phone much, I have the phone for about 2 years and I had a bit of spare time and just wanted to see how well it works. What you said sounds correct - with the Nokia s/w though it is not possible to mess around with the settings as much as with for example iTunes. Overall I wouldn't be impressed with the music player on the 6230i - I presume on the newer phones it's better!?!?!?

Back