Noisy Neighbours

• Thread starter unhappygirl
  • Start date
U

unhappygirl

I am having loads of trouble with my neighbours - a mother and her 4 children...The kids are up until the early hours of the morning every night and they are all screaming and running around the house and i cannot get any sleep. I have knocked on the door a couple of times and asked them to keep the noise down but its not really having any effect.

They are getting the house off of the Southern Health Board so have no idea who their landlord is. Can I request this information off of the Southern Health Board and can I do anything about all the noise before I have a nervous breakdown?!!

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this problem and understand where you are coming from as we have a rented house next door to us for many years and have noise problems also.

If you have a read of the key post on Noise/neighbours etc. it might give some advice. There are further posts here.

You could check the PRTB register (published register heading) and if necessary seek advice from them about proceeding with a complaint.

leave your radio on full blast with speakers facing the party wall ,when you go out to work etc. then after a week go in again and see if they want to play ball.its totally legal too

funlovin said:
leave your radio on full blast with speakers facing the party wall ,when you go out to work etc. then after a week go in again and see if they want to play ball.its totally legal too

Would not agree with this at all as you will IMHO only get yourself into trouble for upsetting a mother and her children and they will get the sympathy vote besides possibly upsetting other neighbours with the noise. Whatever sympathy you might get from the Community Garda will be totally lost if you do this.

sueellen said:
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this problem and understand where you are coming from as we have a rented house next door to us for many years and have noise problems also.

If you have a read of the key post on Noise/neighbours etc. it might give some advice. There are further posts here.

You could check the PRTB register (published register heading) and if necessary seek advice from them about proceeding with a complaint.

That PRTB has to be the most useless spreadsheet I have seen in a long time. What's the point?

M

Had an issue like this in our old house. You can take legal action of sorts, see here http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/wwdEnvironment?OpenDocument&Lang=en (http://www.environ.ie) then click Environment, then Noise Pollution. Think first step you get in touch with the Environmental Officer in your local council.
However it is better to try and resolve it amicably - that is, go around WHEN YOU ARE CALM rather than doing nothing till you are really mad and then going beserk and banging on the door (I know what it's like though). Things might end up worse if you start threatening legal action. Try and get them to see things from your point of view. It's much harder for them to disregard your feelings if they actually feel they know you, if you see what I mean. Try and get them to see your point of view and agree times for them to be quiet (eg after 10pm at night and 7am in the morning say).

Hi,

I agree with Sadie's post below - go when you are calm, not tearing your hair out.

I currently have really noisy neighbours in the apartment below me - up every morning (including every weekend) before 8am, put on load music, sing along, shout, scream, cackle with laughter. There are about 10 of them living in a 1-bed place, and at weekends the noise goes on all day, and they are having parties on their patio (which is right below my bedroom window) every weekwend.

At the start I used to drop down to them to ask them to lower the volume, but made little difference, so now I hammer on the floor, or go down when I am driven demeted by them!! In hindsight, it would be much better to only talk to them when I am calm!

If it's a case of kids screaming the mother may not be able to do anything even if she wanted to. It's hard to just flick a switch and stop kids screaming if that's the way they are.

annR said:
If it's a case of kids screaming the mother may not be able to do anything even if she wanted to. It's hard to just flick a switch and stop kids screaming if that's the way they are.

Spare the rod and.....

(No, I don't really mean that)

Back