Noisy floor in bathroom

Jimmy Mook

The upstairs bathroom in my house has a tiled floor on floorboards. Any movement at all near the toilet causes really loud creaks. Can anything be done to sort this without ripping up the tiles?

Hello ,

My parents had this problem before but it was under lino....basically over the years the wood warped and everytime you stood on a certain spot it rubbed off the board beside it and squeeked....took up the lino and hammered a shiny new nail into it and that sorted it....unfortunately i looks like the tile has to come up to fix this problem.....

The best way to fix this problem would be to take up the tiles and probably the floorboards too, then fix acoustic damping strips (e.g. [broken link removed] sheep wool product, or similar) to the joists. Then re-floor with marine ply and retile.

But you probably don't want to do all that. If there's movement in the floor your tiles are going to loosen and come up eventually, however.

that sounds like the ideal solution. will wait till SSIA comes in and get a quote. Would you know where I would get a quote for this type of work?

Any tiler.

Jimmy Mook said:
that sounds like the ideal solution. will wait till SSIA comes in and get a quote. Would you know where I would get a quote for this type of work?

Tiles on floorboards will always cause trouble because the floorboards move in relation to each other. Eventually the grout and even the tiles will come loose. You need to screw sheets of solid wood sheeting to the floorboards and retile unfortunately to solve this properly.

Sheet over the floorboards with at least 12mm WBP ply ( no need for marine ply and half the price) and screw fixings at 200mm centres throughout the board. this should eliminate any movement

I thought about that at the time but if I put down sheets of ply that would have made the tiles about half an inch over the door saddle, and I was thinking I wouldnt have been able to open the door then.

Jimmy,

Yes I had the same problem but you need to plane the base of the door accordingly also by fitting a thick door saddle cut into the tile finish and tapered at the other end it will work out ok.

Just for anyone with a similar problem, it turns out the noise is coming form the metal studding in the wall which is coming away from its moorings in the floor.

Back