Noise reducing/isolating headphones

Happy_Harry

Flying out on a 11 hr flight next week, I will be bringing laptop and DVDs as in flight entertainment, but I am going to need some proper headphones. Last time I brought a laptop to watch movies was a disaster as the only thing I could hear were the plane engines. Was thinking of investing in a couple of medium priced headphones that can help reduce outside noise. Currys (Looking for offline retailers- I don't want to risk delivery after I have flown) stock both Philips Noise reduction earphones(€50)and Sennheiser noise isolating headphones(€59). Anybody with experience of these or other (cheaper) models ? Don't need best quality of sound, but best quantity or best noise blocking, as I won't be listening to music, but I'll be watching DVDs.

I fly with a pair of shure eC2's ...cost about 60 euro in the US, so probably a but more here. Noise isolating and sound quality is great. It comes with a variety of ear buds

Thanks for the advice Ontour. I thought they were more expensive, but they were on special offer on Amazon £35. Ordered 2 pairs.

Bose are best and are used worldwide as pilot headphones. The consumer version is almost €400 though. I am told the next best are Sennheiser ...less than half the price.Below that €60 headphones (noise cancelling or not) will give very poor sound quality even if the noise cancelling is good.

Whatever you get, make sure to get batteries and also the two-pin adaptor for the inflight entertainment system.

If you're using your own headphones on a flight with the inflight entertainment system then you will most likely need an attenuator (e.g. like [broken link removed]) otherwise you will probably have to use the airline's headphones because the sound level/quality will be so high/bad with your own headphones.

My Sony headphones work just fine on airline systems, you get to enjoy a lot more of the movie soundtrack than with the give-aways.

With a slight risk of going off topic: Does anyone know what type of jack you need for AerLingus in flight entertainmment.A normal single or a dual ?