Noise from window

J

jake108

Moved into a new house and having an intermittent problem with noise on windy nights. The builders have come back (and the company that fit the windows) on several occasions and have tried various things from re-sealing around the window to fitting new hinges. I thought it was the seals around the actual window openings but they said they are perfect. It's only happening in the bedroom window and is driving us mad. Any suggestions??

Assuming we're not talking sash windows here, then chances are its not your window but something else outside. Some suggestions - Is there a clothes-line or cable wire nearby that could rattle off it on a windy night ? Check internally as well for curtain trappings or the actual curtain rail itself. Is there a valence overhead. Finally check around the window somewhere for the source as oppose to the actual window.

No it's nothing hitting off it. It's a problem with the actual window or surround. Just can't trace it.

I had a similar problem with new windows - we were getting a whistling noise through them when it was windy. Turned out there was a tiny hole in ones of the joints of the window, which was allowing air in. I had to check every seam inside and out before I found it, hidden beneath the window sill.