Noise from water pump

Brego888

Hi all

Moving into new house soon, air to water heat system in place.
At the base of the water tank in the hot press is a pump that makes an awful loud noise every time a tap is turned on or a toilet is flushed.
Is there any way to insulate or dampen the noise of the pump?
Read a bit online about making a box to surround it or placing some cork or foam padding below the pump.

I think the issue is more airborne noise than vibration through the floor boards.

Attachments

• IMG_20190709_111054.jpg
    IMG_20190709_111054.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 579
  • IMG_20190709_105023.jpg
    IMG_20190709_105023.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 623

The pump I have is on rubber on a concrete slab. It really helps with the noise. I had a switch to turn it on/off as needed installed. (It's only used for power shower or to fill a bath)

One more thing to note in HollowKnight's example is the use of flexible connectors to the pump. This greatly reduces vibrations through the pipework.

New house?

Get the builder / developer to sort this out. Once you start messing around yourself they will go 100% hands off.

How big a job would it be to lift this a couple of inches higher to get some rubber or a concrete block underneath? The piping is rigid and the pump is already fixed to the floor.
The builders aren't going to do anything about it as I've already asked. It's a big development and all houses are being left the same.

It would not be a big job at all for a plumber to do that. They’d need to drain down that circuit, disconnect the pump, raise it, they’d likely put in the anti-vibration flexible hoses others have mentioned (so no issue with current pipe positions), refill the circuit and test. I’d imagine it’s 2 hours work at most.

No idea the spec of your pump, but you can buy very quiet ones (Salamander for example) which you could consider putting in, might be a few hundred quid but noise like that would annoy me enough to do it. If your pump is new you’d get a few quid for it anyway.

You could also couple this pump arrangement with an air accumulator tank that would reduce the frequency of the pump turning on. It works by accumulating a head of pressure in an Air : Water bladdered tank. THe accumulated pressure is tapped when you use a tap etc.

it also reduces wear / duty cycle on your pump.
just for info, you can get smaller ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4TZoFIsE2w

Back