Noise from DIY fanatic

Could you send on a link or two? Any I've seen recently don't include a time restriction.
Leo

Chosen completey at random from recently approved permissions on Dublin City Council's Web site see application 1863/07 (goto [broken link removed] as the starting point). Select "decision" and it'll list the conditions.

This also references the county development plan (which you can also download), section 15.37.0, which says:

<QUOTE:/

15.37.0 Hours of Building Operation​
On sites where noise generated by building
operations would seriously affect residential amenity,
building operations must be carried out between
0700 and 1800 hours Monday to Friday and
between 0800 hours and 1400 hours on Saturdays
only. No work shall be carried out on Sundays or
Bank Holidays.This does not apply to works on
public roadways.

/END QUOTE>

If a builder claims not to know about this, I'd check the grant of permission for the particular development.

Having said all that, this is for Dublin City Council: other councils could of corse have different standards (or none).

Fair enough, I was looking in South Central where I have yet to see it as a condition on an extention.

If youre living in Dublin you may contact building control in the Dublin Corp/Council civic offices on Wood Quay.

There was a development next door to my house and they were working from 6 am until 12 midnight and even on sundays were accepting deliveries until I got building control to go around, monitor conditions such as traffic, noise etc and fine them and impose restrictions upon when they may work.
They were forbidden from working too early in the morning or too late in the evening and they were also forbidden from working on Sundays (to a previous poster: this had nothing to do with freedom of religion) and were forced to make a half day on Saturdays. The builder really must have hated me ha ha but their piledriving would have made anyone completely insane.

Similarly in your case theres general standards regarding noise pollution and quality of life involved here and they (building control) will send around a trained engineer to witness noise and environmental conditions, to make a report and be official witness to whatever your neighbour is doing.

Once you pointed out that this guy is building for so long yet had the temerity to make a complaint against any attempt of yours to build I was 100% on your side. What a hypocrite he is.
Good Luck mate .

Thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately this clown does not need planning permission for his activities. Therefore there is no PP type restrictions. Is there any legislative or council restrictions for DIY type work (not requiring PP)? I don't mind him doing work 9-5 weekdays (even though Mrs Budgie is at home), its the Sat/Sundays that are the killers.

Go to your local council offices. Its as simple as writing a letter outlining your problems and finding out who to send it to within the council . Building control can and will send someone around to observe and write a report on this guy at any time and can issue a warning requiring him to limit his noise and hours of work. Its nothing to do with planning permission.

This is because his building project is happening in a residential area where people are entitled to uninterrupted sleep and enjoyment of their homes so he simply cannot do as he pleases.

Good post by ang there, if he's on the residents assoc. he would find it extremely embarrasing if you highlighted these issues at the next meeting, with a full copy breakdown for all in attendance.

To get back to helping sort the problem, I'd quote the DCC development plan item (see above) to him directly (politely). Just because he doesn't need planning permission doesn't mean he shouldn't follow the same rules as someone who does. If that doesn't work, I'd contact the council directly (but let him know you're doing this beforehand). Basically, keep it polite but firm, and let him know what you're doing: that way he can't complain he didn't know.

I'm totally on your side, by the way, as I'm sure most reasonable people would be.