noise coming through windows

morpheus

Hi all,

Ive noticed since I moved in that every morning, every 5 - 10 minutes people are starting up cars to drive off, the noise is driving me insane, sounds are coming through our window and its almost like the window is open.

I know that sounds carry better in the morning, especially the crisp mornings we get in jan and feb, but this is going beyond a joke.

Ive no curtains yet, only blinds, but even with curtains I know that they wont make much of a difference.

Is there any other way (short of boarding up the window!!) which will make an improvement in insulating this noise as I havent had a decent nights sleep since the weekend.

YAWN..... zzzzzzzz

Is there any other way (short of boarding up the window!!)
(Internal) wooden shutters perhaps? My brother in law made a set for his kitchen window and they look really good and I presume would help with soundproofing in your situation.

What type of window frames do you presently have? Perhaps they are quite old and have gaps where the windows are meant to close tightly?

house is only 2 years old, their white plastic type windows, double glazed too i think! might even resort to triple glazing the bedroom one only. Any more ideas?

We had a similar problem with noise but the windows were about 10 years old. There was a recommendation on this site for John Delahunt who repairs windows. I got him out and the problem was with our hinges. He is a very honest and genuine guy and did not charge us a lot. It would certainly be worth ringing him to get some advice. He'll call out without any charge. Here's the original posting where I got his details:

Hello,

We had a repair done on our back door some time ago by this fellow and he was very good John Delahunt, Phone 4527934 or 086-8728521. His attention to detail is great. He repaired my parents door as well and they were very happy also. His leaflet says he does all types of repairs on PVC and aluminium.

house is only 2 years old, their white plastic type windows, double glazed too i think! might even resort to triple glazing the bedroom one only. Any more ideas?
Make sure that there aren't any gaps between the sections that open and the main window frame. You might have to examine them closely: try running a knife blade between the seal and frame. Even a small gap of a couple of mm will let sound through. My first house had new PVC double-glazed windows, but I had this problem. I used foam strips to seal the gaps.

I concur with Rory. We have one (near new) window and the top right side of the opening part does not bed in completely when closed. It amazing how much traffic noise can get through this gap and in certain wind directions you will also feel a slight draught.
Also if you have an open air vent on this wall it would be like having a small window opening on to the street.

F.

Ah!! I think that each window has one of those louvered vents along the top ot it. Thats probably the problem, wonder if I can close those vents, or at least put something over them to make it quiet?

On another note Morpheus, we moved out the country 2 years ago and I was obsessed with car noise. Anytime a car passed it felt like it came through the house. I was really peeved initially and felt we had made a wrong decision in moving. However 2 years on I hardly notice the noise and I'm amazed at how we adapt. I was helped enormously by a remark a Tai-Chi teacher said to me which was something like....."relax back in to you hammock as all the other folk are heading somewhere and send them on their way with good wishes".....I guess what made me send this response was your mention of the word "insane" in your opening line and my suggestion here to modify your mental approach to the situation. (thereby perserving your sanity).
Rgds
F
ps doing the other stuff to minimise the noise also helps though.

Am thinking of getting triple glazing in order to reduce noise coming in through windows. Can anyone advise as to how much of a noise reduction good standard triple glazing should provide? I currently have timber framed double glazing which is about 8 yrs old (same age as house)

Thanks

Back