No Wireless Internet Access

windo77

I recently bought a PC from Marx Computers with a wireless card (the 802.11n type) to access the Internet.

I find that I can access the Internet with the wireless card if the modem (supplied by Eircom) is in the same room as the PC or in an adjacent room but if I move the PC to an office outside the rear of the house (so that the PC and the modem are separated by with two brick walls and two wooden walls over a distance of 16 m), I have no Internet access.

Moving the PC back to the house is not an option as there is no suitable location in the house for a desktop PC. And moving the modem to the same outside office as the PC is not an option as when the PC and modem were in that office and connected by cable, Internet access was slow or non-existent and we were advised by Eircom that "something was eating into the signal from the entry point at the front of the house to the modem in the outside office" and that we should move move the modem as close as possible to that entry point. Since then, Internet access has been excellent using a laptop in a room adjacent to the second location of the modem.

But I still need to access the Internet with my PC from that outside office.
I have come across guidelines such as
http://www.wikihow.com/Boost-a-Router-Signal

Such guides offer several suggestions - Home Plug adapters, installing an access point, replacing the antenna on the modem and installing a repeater Other home-made options - such as fitting a dish covered in tin foil to the antenna - are suggested. Does anyone have experience of these options?

And who is the best retailer for providing the accessory I need - Marx, where I bought the PC or Peats or someone else?

Any advice would be greatly apparicated.

As long as your outside office's electricity sockets are on the same circuit as your house, the homeplugs should work a treat.

They're cheapest , but you may prefer to get them over the counter for ease of return if you find they don't do the trick. [broken link removed]or [broken link removed] will have them.

If you're any way handy, and the location of the modem and computer suit, you may want to consider a wired network. B & Q do a wired network kit for about 50 quid that looks handy enough to install