no water coming into the cistern in one of my toilets.

• Thread starter new_user2007
  • Start date
N

new_user2007

Hi,

There is no water coming into the cistern in one of my toilets. Ball cock seems fine, maybe an air lock.

Any suggestions?

The hole through which the water passes in the ball valve is usually quite small and easily blocked it is unlikely to be an air lock if it is the only item affected.

The large washer is some plastic ball valves can end up mishapen and perminently pressing against the orifice even when the arm relases pressure on the back of it.

A plumber will isolate it and clean it . If plastic one he will be prepared to replace the washer

hmmm... we have a similar enough problem but it just takes ages, i.e 10 minutes or so, for the cistern to fill up after flushing... i will check for a blockage. Any other reason it could take so long? (It's not a new toilet, it worked for years, then suddenly slowed down to a trickle)

Thanks for the advice.

I have a similar problem in my house from time to time, I live in an area with a lot of lime in the water (hard water) over time the lime will build up in the cistern valve at the ball cock. I usually just dismantle the valve and scrape out the lime scale with a small pocket knife, make sure to turn the water off first. Have a look in your kettle, if theres a good bit of lime scale in there then you probably have hard water.

hmmm... we have a similar enough problem but it just takes ages, i.e 10 minutes or so, for the cistern to fill up after flushing... i will check for a blockage. Any other reason it could take so long? (It's not a new toilet, it worked for years, then suddenly slowed down to a trickle)

Thanks for the advice.
more than likely a blockage.....

you will need to shut off the water supply to the toilets with teh hand valve in the hotpress. Both my upstairs toilets last year had crap on the water inlet and used to take about 10 mins to fill each one

Be warned, when you unscrew the ballcock be carefull you note what order parts are in because they will freely pop out (3/4 parts. rubber stopper, water nossle, washer, stop pin). if they don't go back in the same way they came out, it won't stop filling!

The problem with it not filling was the pipe connection just below the cistern. I screwed it off and water started spraying everywhere! Tightened it back up and the cistern started to fill. I had to connect it again quickly but the washer looked as if it had seen better days. I found out though that turning off the water from the hotpress only cuts the water to the taps! I want to look at the washer again so do I have to turn off the water at the mains?

Back