No VAT on 7dayshop shipments ?

zag

I need to get some toners and I see from the 7dayshop website - [broken link removed] - that they don't charge VAT on shipments under £18.

Is this something new ? Does it mean you have to declare and pay the VAT on receipt or what ?

Otherwise, apart from the 'normal' savings buying through the UK, you also save having to pay 21% Irish VAT.

z

See [broken link removed]:
Your Business & Customs

Imports over the Internet

Goods of Negligible Value

Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters with a value of €22 regardless of status (for private or commercial use) are admitted free of customs duty and VAT under the scheme commonly known as "small packages" relief.

Because 7dayshop are in Guernsey, there's no VAT - a saving they can pass on in the case of items worth less than £18/€22...

Ah, shucks, I shoulda answered the other thread first! Anyway, I stand corrected:
If the delivery address for your order is in the United Kingdom, all prices shown are FULLY INCLUSIVE of UK VAT where applicable and all goods are in FREE CIRCULATION within the EU.
— or at least partially? Is it not the case that if VAT has been paid on goods ordered from within the EU, the only further take should be (where applicable) the difference between the prevailing VAT rate on said goods within each of the member countries...?

Yours in pedantry,
An Dochtúir M, Uas.

The Channel Islands are not part of the UK or the EU. As such goods shipped from Guernsey originate from outside the EU and [broken link removed] applies:
6.2 Customs Duties

Customs duty is payable on goods imported into Ireland from outside the EU.The actual rate of duty depends on the nature of the goods. VAT is also payable on imported goods at whatever rate would apply to their supply in Ireland. Customs duty payable is included in the value of the goods for VAT purposes.

There are two exceptions to this general rule:

• Consignments of a value not exceeding €45 or £36 which are sent as gifts from private individuals for the exclusive personal/family use of the recipient. Such consignments are admitted free of customs duty and VAT.
  • Packages with a value not exceeding €22 or £18, regardless of their commercial status.These packages can be admitted free of customs duty and VAT. This relief is known as the "De Minimis Relief" or more commonly as the "small packages" relief.
In addition, customs Regulations provide for the waiving of customs duty of less than €10 or £8 on goods contained in one consignment or parcel.

Back