No private pension - 52 year old male

Laura

Posting on behalf of my brother who was made redundant last year. While helping him sort out his paperwork for the redundancy, he shared that he has not paid into a pension during his working life. He is 52. He obviously needs to make some provision for his retirement.
I'm looking for advice on where to start here for him.
Thanks in advance for any pointers

Start by finding out what his PRSI contribution record looks like to see what sort of contributory old age pension he might be in line for from age 66.
He can register for a myWelfare account and then request a contribution statement.
Is he in employment and earning an income now?
Does the job offer any pension cover?
If it does it probably makes sense to avail of that especially if the employer matches employee contributions up to some level.
Alternatively he could start a PRSA with a low charges provider and contribute up to 30% of his gross and get full tax relief on the contributions.
There are loads of existing threads on what sort of pension products, options and charges are on offer that would be worth searching/checking out.

It might be worth his while doing a Money Makeover post to get more targeted advice and feedback.

If he is currently unemployed, make sure he is signing on for Jobseekers credits.
For any periods of future unemployment he should fill the gaps in employment with Jobseekers credits.

He needs to reach 2080 Prsi contributions to get the full contributury state pension.

Does he own a house? Is he married? Does he have children? What future inheritance is potentially there? Has he any other investments? Does he have savings?

Money makeover thread is probably the best place to make a start.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will try and get all those details together and go via money makeover thread with his details.