no phone line -do I have any internet options?

pator

I don't have a phone line, just use the mobile, do I have any internet conection options? I would be a pretty light user.
Thanks

Yes. You could sign up with a 'wireless' provider such as . No phone line, no wires are required - you just plug a box into your pc. They charge a flat €18.95 per month for their basic package.

Is NTL's cable Broadband an option? [broken link removed] I have it and have no compliants.

Where abouts are you in the country ? A lot depends on what providers are in your area, but the only options are wireless or cable BB.

Wexfordman

You might want to read about IBB on boards.ie before trying them-most experiences seem to be negative.

There are other providers such as Clearwire and Digiweb that might be worth a look.

Hi Guys, thanks a mill for all the very good info. I am in Tipperary so it looks like satellite is the only option?? Problem a bit expensive for my needs. I checked out chorus as well and they don't do internet in my area. Any ideas most welcome

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll need a phone line for satalite.

There was a website that showed all the available options in different areas. I'm with Permanet.

umop3p!sdn said:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you'll need a phone line for satalite.
I'm also open to correction, but I think that's almost certainly not the case...

Satellite BB works off signals relayed from mobile 'phone masts — or have I completely misunderstood? :confused:

DrMoriarty said:
I'm also open to correction, but I think that's almost certainly not the case...

Satellite BB works off signals relayed from mobile 'phone masts — or have I completely misunderstood? :confused:

Not off mobile masts its similar to Sky you stick a dish up and point it at the satellite.

There are two types
a) two way which does not require a phone line
b) one way download only for which you need a phone line to upload (including sending control signals)

The two way is more expensive but with the one way you are still paying for dial up (but maybe a little less as downloads will be faster)

I stand corrected, it seems you can indeed now get two way satellite broadband:

[broken link removed]

The prices seem to have come down a lot since I last looked at it as well.

[post crossed with Dam099)

pator said:
Hi Guys, thanks a mill for all the very good info. I am in Tipperary so it looks like satellite is the only option??
How about Premier BB in North Tipp or Permanet south Tipp or Westnet west Tipp or anyone mentioned here for Tipp .

[broken link removed]

Sats are crap and for the truly desperate.

Back