No payments since March 2011 - repossession refused by court

Brendan Burgess

Founder
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...portunity-to-hold-on-to-family-home-1.1607096

It's astonishing that the courts refuse repossession in these cases. They allow all sorts of side issues to influence their decisions.

Subprime lender Start Mortgages Ltd had sought an order for possession against the man. The court was told he owed mortgage arrears of €98,000 and had made his last repayment in March 2011.

The man told [broken link removed] that his wife and his parents were living in the family home. He claimed his home was smashed up one night due to a local dispute about a quarry he owned and his mother was injured and “ended up in intensive care” in hospital. She had come home now to die, he said.

And people say that the system is loaded in favour of the banks!

Nothing strange with the case at all.

Once a lender gets a case into court, the borrower can easily get stays of up to a year. It is happening all the time, it is just not being reported save for exceptional cases like above.

Hi Time

Usually, does the bank not get repossession, with a stay for a certain period.

In this case, the bank was refused repossession and have to wait 6 months to apply again. They will probably get possession at that stage with a stay of one year.

Brendan

The second case in that article is even more astonishing, a bank gets a repossession order, repossess the property and the owner breaks back into the property and the bank has to go back to court to get another repossession order, I wonder how long all of that took and how much it cost.

In relation to the first case, I wonder what level of proof the man had to supply, or if it was all a fairytale. I'm not saying it was, but that's some catelogue of woe,and the possibilities of income seem remote and vague.

Back