No paperwork when selling apartment

aam514

Hi,

I am selling an apartment that I bought in 2003/2004. Unfortunately, I have lost all paperwork associated with the purchase. e.g. I can't remember the solicitor I used and don't have details of developer I bought from.

Where can I go to retrieve details? I still have a mortgage and I suppose I can contact the bank but is there some other point of contact I can go to also?

Thanks.

Everything you need is with your deeds, which are with your lender.

You need to appoint a solicitor to act for you in the sale- they will advise on what you need.

mf

I don’t think you need any details. Get a solicitor and let her/him/them do the work.

Thanks. The apartment is not sale agreed yet so I wanted to see if there was anything I could do beforehand myself without having to engage my solicitor. Would it possible for example for me to request a copy of the deeds from the lender?

"Would it possible for example for me to request a copy of the deeds from the lender? "

Highly unlikely that they would have any interest in taking up your Deeds, copying everything and sending the copies on to you. Some banks will copy and furnish a specific document , if requested by the borrower.

And what is a copy of your Deeds going to show you anyway?

Things you can do now are:
1. Make sure your LPT is paid to date and be prepared to discharge next years also.
2. Make sure your service charge is paid to date.
3. If applicable, apply for a Certificate of Discharge/Exemption from NPPR - google that if you don't know what it is.
4. Read through any documentation you have from your Management Company for issues like fire safety problems and have the common areas been transferred.

But, really, you should check with your own solicitor - they all have their checklists that they can send you.

Far better than complete strangers on here offering suggestions.

mf

Back