No Lithium Ion AA batteries - conspiracy or what?

O

OhPinchy

We can put man on the moon and split the atom, yet in this day and age I'm still to see an AA (i.e. the most popular type) lithium ion battery on retail.

Why not? Surely its possible to create such batteries in this shape? Could it be that the big boys in the battery world know that once these things hit the shelves we'll all buy a few sets and then only ever need to buy replacements every few years, instead of having to fork out crazy cash every few weeks for normal batteries?

The difference between Lithium Ion and Nickel MetalHydride (the currently available rechargeable AA batteries are mostly this type) is huge so why is noone out there offering such a product? Are they really that hard to make?

OhPinchy, I think you answered your own question in the second paragraph... (open to correction on this, though!)

That said, I've recently bought camera/mp3-player-type gear precisely on the basis of it being able to run off standard-sized AA/AAA batteries (like my latest [broken link removed] :D ). If you buy the highest-rated NiMH rechargeables - 900mAh & 2400mAh respectively, afaik - it goes some way to closing the performance gap. And they're getting cheaper all the time, especially if you buy online... (great bargains to be had on [broken link removed]!)

What are you trying to power, exactly?

Don't think I'm answering the question - just throwing the suggestion out there that its possible that the big battery companies haven't put much effort into this as its not in their interests. Talk about a gap in the market for any forward looking company though.

I've used plenty of NiMH batteries and theyre simply not up to scratch when compared to Lithium Ion. I'm not looking to power any one appliance in particular but if Lithium Ion AA batteries were on the market I'd snap up a few and start running cameras etc. on them.

Re: ...

Heads up, OhPinchy, look what I just found! :)
Energizer® e2® AA Lithium Batteries
$34 +p&p for four, though... not cheap enough (for non-rechargeables) to make me abandon the rechargeable NiMH option. I just have to carry around a spare set at all times...

Dr. M.

Back