No Landline, PC 3/4 years old. Is "Broadband in a Box" an option?

MBoyle

I have a Laptop which has (I think) a built in Modem. I've never been connected to the Internet, but I would like to do so and am wondering what is the easiest option. I don't have a phone line so am wondering about Broadband in a Box--How does it work? Will it work with a Modem only or do you need a wireless connection? And if so can I get a wireless connection on my Laptop? It doesn't have one currently I don't think - it is a fairly old laptop (about 3/4 yrs old).

All Help Appreciated!

The modem is of no use for broadband (assuming its a standard 56kbps). You will need either a wireless connection (802.11b/g also known as WiFi or wireless Lan, which will be different to any wireless broadband), or an ethernet connection, which is shown in the picture [broken link removed] with the phone/modem connection.

Hi Tiger,

Can I get a wireless connection for my Laptop? How do they connect? Where do I get one and roughly at what cost?

Cheers,

J

(Should have added) You'll then need to get the wireless broadband from someone like irishbroadband or digiweb. They will give you a box or modem of some kind which will also have an ethernet connection on it. A simple network cable connects you up. If you want to do the broadband in your back garden thing, there are a couple of more steps.

So I need an ethernet connection, which I can then plug my Broadband in a Box into... Is this correct?

To go "wireless" (i.e. create a wireless lan), you'll need either a USB adapter or pcmcia card. You'll also need a wireless router to connect to the box from your broadband provider, unless they can also provide one with this built in. See [broken link removed] for some sample prices.

Ok, let me get this right...

The USB Adapter or pcmcia card plugs into my Laptop;The wireless router connects to the USB Adapter or pcmcia card; And the Broadband Box connects to the wireless router? Have I got that right?

Should they all be the same speed? If they were all 54Mbps would it be very slow? And which of the USB Adapter or pcmcia card would be best?

Thanks for your help Tiger, much appreciated.

I presume "broadband in a box" means or something similar from another provider (if applicable)? Bear in mind that different people have had different experiences with this product. Personally I would not recommend it or Irish Broadband at all based on my own past experience with them in several sites. However at least it's a non contract broadband package so you could pay the €19 for a month to evaluate it and keep it if it works or ditch it if it doesn't. You will need an ethernet connection on your PC to connect to this box. Wireless ethernet connectivity is irrelevant when connecting to this box and is not necessary or of any use at all in this specific situation.

We're talking about 2 different things. Simplest would be to get the wireless in a box first (so you can evaluate it as ClubMan suggests), and connect using an ethernet cable. If it works, and you get tired of having to use the cable you can then look at adding the router and usb adpater/pcmcia card.
The USB Adapter or pcmcia card plugs into my Laptop;The wireless router connects to the USB Adapter or pcmcia card; And the Broadband Box connects to the wireless router? Have I got that right?
Yes. the connection from the router to the adapter or card is a wireless one, the other2 are physical ones.

Exactly - forget about wireless local area networking for now and just stick to checking out Ripwave (wireless broadband) if that's the only broadband option open to you.