No interest paid in AIB High Interest Current Account

L

Laker

I opened a High Interest Current Account in AIB in Spring 2007 & I noticed around Spring 2008 that no interest was being accrued by the account. I queried this with the branch and was told by the Assistant Manager that although it was setup as a High Interest Current Account, it was never enacted for whatever reason. He then said that he'd set up my account properly for the current year & I informed him that I wanted the interest that should have been accruing credited to my account as well as a breakdown of the interest. He tried again to fob a new High Interest Current Account off on me stating that "it would have a better interest rate for this year". Restated to him that I wanted the interest I should have been paid in the previous year paid in full even if it meant a reduced rate for the year ahead. Why should I lose money to make his job easier?

Anyways a couple of months passed and still no word or sign of the backdated interest (interest from the previous phone call was now accruing to the account) so I phoned the same manager up again. He fobbed me off by saying that the person he delegated the work to hadn't completed it & that he would get it sorted.

Another couple of months passed and still no word or sign of the backdated interest so I tried to phone the same manager again. Couldn't reach him so was put on to the Systems Manager. He took all my details & said he'd get the Assistant Manager to give me a ring. The Systems Manager phoned me back later to tell me that he'd passed on the message and that the Assistant Manager was very busy but would phone me when he could. That phone call never came.

Anytime the AIB 24 Banking Customer Care team ring to chew the cud I tell them about the above, they register their surprise & then tell me that there's no much they can do apart from email the Assistant Manager with my misgivings. This happened on at least two occasions.

Then a couple of months ago I got another burst of wind and got in contact with the Branch Manager (who turned out to be the person who setup the account back on day one). Told her the story and she said she'd have to check with the Assistant Manager. He fobbed her off by saying he thought it was all sorted (why then were you receiving emails from the 24 Banking Customer Care team saying the contrary you chancer?). So she said she'd look into it some more & get back to me. That was a couple of months ago so I rang her up last Friday to see what the story was, she was in a meeting so I just left a voicemail for her to ring me back. No word, so I rang up yesterday but he phone was going straight to voicemail so I just left a message with the branch for her to call me. No call back so I rang them again today. Same story, she was in a meeting. Left a message that if I didn't receive a call from her by close of business today I would put the matters in the hands of her Regional Manager (whose details the branch didn't have).

So my question to all you fiscal folk is where should I take matters now. I've had it with the branch, can I take the matter up with the Financial Regulator? Where or how can I get the Regional Managers details???

I'd go with the regulator. This is not too dissimilar to being overcharged - and we all know how much of that went on in AIB. Even if nothing happens from the regulator at least it wil be reported and noted on the record. I would also get on to the regional manager. Should be acase of ringing any AIB branch in the district.

Hi Laker,

Totally unsatisfactory customer service from AIB but have had plenty of problems myself with them recently.

Tried to have a look at the terms and conditions of this type of account but it appears to be necessary to get the [broken link removed]. With an ordinary current account certain conditions such as 1 laser transaction are needed to avail of free banking so perhaps they have stipulations also on this type of account.

They occasionally write to people notifying them of their allocated contact and it may be as well for you to confirm who this person is for future reference.

I also feel that it is usually a waste of time ringing companies in a situation like this. If they regularly fail to meet their promises then pen to paper is best route for evidence. They cannot deny hard copies.

Not sure if it would be best in light of your complaint for you to contact the [broken link removed] rather than [broken link removed]

depending on the amounts involved i would go in and demand the interest be credited immediately or close the account ,take your balance accross the road and deposit it in a better bank and then contact the regulater with the required info and amount you fiqure the bank owes you from last year and enlist them to help you recover it from aib