No Immersion in hot water tank?

chippy

Hi to ye all,can you advice.i am just after finding out from my new tenants that there is no immersion heater installed in the hot water tank.The switch with the red light is there alright and working.Im in a state of shock,i thought that an immersion was a standard fitting in all new houses,not so according to the builders foreman,he is fobbing me off with numerouus excuses,1 its in the contract that there is no immersion installed hmmmm strange one!!! 2 that the area planning is not zoned for immersions stranger again. 3 the builder never installs immersions Gobsmacked. Im nearly forty and i presumed all hot water tanks had immersions installed. So people is this the usual craic and do i have to shut up and put up??? p.s I know its no big job to install an immersion but there goes another ball of cash,i feel ive been stitched up and made a fool of :-( Any advice gladly accepted Chippy

Hi to ye all,can you advice.i am just after finding out from my new tenants that there is no immersion heater installed in the hot water tank.The switch with the red light is there alright and working.Im in a state of shock,i thought that an immersion was a standard fitting in all new houses,not so according to the builders foreman
This sounds ridiculous to me.

i'm afraid the builder is correct but i'm open to correction with the more newer tanks especailly if you run a pressurised system no electric immersion is fitted, often if you need one fitted the tank would have to be drilled etc which i'm led to believe isn't a good idea, if you have you're heating system zoned you should be able to heat the water fairly quickly by using the boost button or else program it to heat the tank an hour a day to top up hot water supply...

If necessary, you can get one of the under-sink jobbies (perfect for washing dishes) and would save you the cost of a more major ripping of the plumbing.

Like [broken link removed]

Last edited:
This sounds ridiculous to me.

I second that, It's a cop out. You should have a tapping on the top or side of cylinder that is blanked. If its a standard cylinder with tapping at top, these cost about €35 and should cost no more than €130 to fit including part, labour and vat.
However I would insist that builder/plumber fit one at no extra cost on the grounds it should be included in price of house.

I second that, It's a cop out. You should have a tapping on the top or side of cylinder that is blanked. If its a standard cylinder with tapping at top, these cost about €35 and should cost no more than €130 to fit including part, labour and vat.
However I would insist that builder/plumber fit one at no extra cost on the grounds it should be included in price of house.

Thankyou Davyjones,you have given me the most sensible answer,id say i,ll have no hope with the builder,probably be cheaper to get a plumber in the long run and take it as a lesson learnt.The builder is not nicknamed Daggers for nothing,though id love to know if is he still trying this one on with his new builds? Regards Chippy

Hi legend,thanks for answering my query.Its just anordinary oil heating system, cold watertank up in the attic.So if say the oil runs out or there is a breakdown.No backup system.Seems like a right cop out to me??? regards Chippy

By the way chippy, price depends on location. However one poster here reported on paying around €300 for the job which is far too expensive. A competent plumber should be on site for no more than an hour. My advice is to shop around. Good luck

By the way chippy, price depends on location. However one poster here reported on paying around €300 for the job which is far too expensive. A competent plumber should be on site for no more than an hour. My advice is to shop around. Good luck

Once again thankyou DavyJones,price might not be to bad here in limerick please god. Regards Chippy

Once again thankyou DavyJones,price might not be to bad here in limerick please god. Regards Chippy

My price was in Limerick as well, I bought the Immersion in an Electrical Shop on broad Street not sure of the name it's close to Hourigans Motorbike Shop.

This happened to me when I moved into my new house. We were turning on the immersion, red light would come on but no hot water.

The builder said it was considered an appliance and he wasn't covered if it broke. He was actually a good guy, everything else was spot on.

Anyway, I insisted and he got the plumber over and installed it.

Back