No ID request for withdrawing cash from bank account?

tallpaul

I withdrew a four figure sum at lunchtime from a bank branch of which I am by no means a regular customer. All I had to do was give the bank account and sort-code to the teller who promptly counted out the bank notes. It only struck me afterwards that I was not asked for identification or any proof that I was the account holder!

As I don't withdraw money over the counter very often, am I wrong to think that there should have been a more rigorous examination of who I was?

They usually ask for your debit card and you have to enter your PIN. Astonished that you only had to quote sort code and account number to withdraw cash.

If youre not using an ATM card (and hence the PIN), I would expect you would need to provide ID. Very worrying....

Some banks can look at a scanned signature on screen from your account opening form, I presume you had to sign something?

If you didn't use your card, then it is strange they didn't ask for ID.

No I didn't have to put my card in the reader. I had my drivers' licence with me in anticipation but was not asked for it. I did have to sign a receipt but what does that prove? I don't believe they have specimen signatures on their systems and the teller certainly didn't examine it closely.

I think I need to follow this up with the manager there...

Last edited:
Did you ever produce ID there ? I produced ID with EBS about six months ago and they still had the scanned details available so didn't request any ID when I went to withdraw recently.

Wouldn,t be too worried about this.
It is highly probable that either the teller knew of you, could make an in-house id check and or he got a quiet nod.

In this day and edge I don,t see 4 figure sums handed out willy nilly.