No hot water

casper

we've moved house in the last month. we have ofch which was heating the water until about a week ago when it just stopped heating the water altogether.
Any ideas why or what to do?

Perhaps there is a problem with the tank (quite likely like the one pictured here)?

Are the radiators heating OK? Upstairs as well as downstairs?

Radiators working fine.
house is about 9 years old so tank wouldn't be that old.
wouldn't be too well up on DIY myself.
just don't understand how it was working one minute and the next it's just completely stopped.

Is there a zone valve fitted beside the cylynder? This is a kind of cube shaped grey/white motorised valve which could be faulty or switched off.

wouldn't be too well up on DIY myself.
Does the tank look similar to that one? If so then locate the input/output pipes for the coil as in the diagram and see if they are heating at all. If not and the reason is not simply the sort of valve/cock mentioned above then you may simply need to get a plumber to look at the system.

Is the boiler comming on ? Not being smart but have you checked your tank for oil ? also if it was low then refilled, it maybe airlocked........

Is the boiler comming on ? Not being smart but have you checked your tank for oil ? also if it was low then refilled, it maybe airlocked........
Er - the rads are working so I doubt that the boiler or oil is the problem!

When the plumber calls the first thing he will look for is an air lock at the primary coil through you copper cylinder.

There may be a little automatic air vent there and your plumber will open the tiny cap on same and let air out of it.
There maybe a manual vent that he will open with a rad vent key

I never recommend DIY

Last edited: