No deeds on community building

Henny Penny

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some information please. Having been recently been drafted in to seek funding for my local scout troop it has come to my attention that the scout den does is lacking some legal documents. It seems to me that it was constructed (sometime in the 1950s) on county council land without planning permission. No deeds were ever registered afaik. Where do we even start to sort this out? The building has been managed by the scouts for nearly 60 years.

Many thanks,

HP

Planning wouldn't have been required then.

As for title, did they think they should own it or is it a case that the council are just allowing them to be there?

If council agree, council can now transfer ownership to them.

Hi Vanilla,

Thanks so much for your response. Thanks for clarifying the position regarding pp.

I'm not altogether clear how the council can transfer ownership of something that they have no title for? Am I wrong in assuming they must have deeds in order to transfer ownership? The council have no objection to the scouts owning the building.

Thanks again.

You said it was constructed on county council land so I assumed they were the owners.

So actually it is unregistered title? This should be checked first by checking a map of the property with the property registration authority- most solicitors can check this immediately on the PRAI website.

Then you should check with the council to see if they hold unregistered title deeds to it.

If they don't then you will have to do an application for first registration to the PRAI. You will probably have to get a copy of the valuation office records to see who the rated occupier is listed as over the years. If council consent to the application it would be simpler.

sincere thanks Vanilla ... you are a mine of useful information. will let you know how we get on over the coming months.

HP