No danger of the 'Ra taking power.

I wouldn't think so. Not after such atrocities.

Is there flag-burning and slogan threats of sectarian genocide against the neighbouring population, or was NATO successful in wiping out the bigots?
NATO were very good at blowing things up but not so good at stopping bigots. They did do a great job of acting as human shields to facilitate the mass murder of civilians though.

In the context of what has happened around the world since the Troubles started in the late 60's Northern Ireland is a minor issue which should have been sorted out decades ago. It's a testament to the resilience of the tribalism which is so deep seated in both tribes in the North that they can manage to keep hating each other.

'the old heart of the earth needed to be warmed by the red wine of the battlefield’ - Pearse.

Perhaps the blood-letting was not sufficient for some. The perseverance of battle lines drawn from two sides of the same Christian coin is testament to the abject failure of religious and political leadership in these parts.

'the old heart of the earth needed to be warmed by the red wine of the battlefield’ - Pearse.

Perhaps the blood-letting was not sufficient for some.
The utter excrement spouted by Pearse and his ilk didn't help either. Misty-eyed nationalism never heals division.

The perseverance of battle lines drawn from two sides of the same Christian coin is testament to the abject failure of religious and political leadership in these parts.
I agree; religion is a curse. Other than John Hume it's hard to think of any major political leader worth admiring. Women like Mairead Maguire and Betty Williams were fantastic people but made little impact.

I wouldn't think so. Not after such atrocities.

Is there flag-burning and slogan threats of sectarian genocide against the neighbouring population, or was NATO successful in wiping out the bigots?
I don't really get your point Theo. Your original comment gave an impression that you believed the bigotry on the Shankill Road is unparalleled in Europe. I am surmising without proof that is probably an overstatement, but it is consistent with your mantra.

Other than John Hume it's hard to think of any major political leader worth admiring.

I preferred Seamus Mallon to Hume, & not just saying that because Mallon has passed away. Mallon always struck me as being a bit more practical, believeable. Hume was a vision man, and I'm not knocking him, you need that too, but just on personal taste I prefer more straight talkers.

Your original comment gave an impression that you believed the bigotry on the Shankill Road is unparalleled in Europe.

Ah, ok. Crossed wires so. I was asking the question, genuinely trying to think of somewhere that could equate to outward displays of sectarianism.
You correctly pointed out Srebrenica as an example of a sectarian hotspot.

Mallon always struck me as being a bit more practical, believeable.

Im an admirer of Mallon too, a speaker of truth. Unfortunately, while he took the righteous ground and it was hard not to agree with him, his input was diminished by not accepting that if the violence was to stop you need to engage those prepared to engage in violence. He steadfastly refused to do this - honourable in its own way, but also insufficient. It was comparable to the Unionist position of refusing to talk to SF - a stalemate that prolonged the conflict.
That's what Hume did. Hume understood that those carrying out the violence were his constituents too. He understood that as abhorrent as the violence was, it emanated from a place other than mindless sadistic thuggery. He sought, and succeeded imo, to challenge the thought processes of Irish militant republicanism. He brought them into the process and in doing so the political objectives of SF would take ascendancy over the military objectives of the IRA.

I could be wrong but I don't think he was against engaging with them, but wanted them to stop first - which is not unreasonable but I know what you mean. There's the great line from Blair (about the SDLP)- "the trouble with you guys is that you don't have any guns" - which kinda sums up the whole dance around the 'RA and ending the conflict. Anyway, I won't enumerate old themes.... as Yeats might say.

Back