No danger of the 'Ra taking power.

WolfeTone

Im guessing that such a topic title was beyond even 'la-la-rainbow-unicorn land' when BB had the good foresight to establish AAM back 20yrs ago? or more??

In between then and now, why would it still be as thing today?

I don’t see any danger of the ‘Ra getting any share of power down here.

The Shinners have TD's who have admitted IRA connections. They are likely to be in power. What else is there to say?

Well there will certainly be IRA people in power if the Shiners are in power. They haven't gone away you know.

Deirdre Hargey was in Magennis’s bar in Belfast the night a bunch of good republicans beat and stabbed Robert McCartney to death. She, along with everyone else there that night, saw nothing. She's now the Shinners communities Minister in Northern Ireland. That's the sort of person the Shinners appoint to high office.
Then there was "Stormontgate" when the Shinners were running an IRA spy ring in the NI Executive.
Then there's Ted Howell, the man Shinner NI ministers need permission from to sign off on major decisions.
I'm sure the list goes on.

Is there any reason to expect them to behave differently in this country?

I cant speak for Deirdre Hargey and what she knows or doesn't know about the brutal murder of Robert McCartney, suffice to say the cover-up is despicable.

The "Stormont-gate" affair was clearly politically contrived. A mass raid to bring down the institutions as pressure on Unionists power-sharing with SF with an armed IRA mounted.
The charges were quietly dropped as "not in the public interest", really? Who gets to decide that IRA spies, that brought down the democratic institutions, should not be charged?
Would it have anything to do with the alleged 'spy-ring' involving a British spy, Denis Donaldson? Its clear to me that yes is the answer there.
I don't know of Ted Howell, suffice to say government ministers taking advice or direction from unelected advisors is not uncommon. If British media outlets are accurate in their reporting today, its clear that unelected advisors are wielding alot of influence on decision making of 10 Downing St.

But to answer your question directly, in consideration of the standing down and disarmament of IRA, with orders to engage in political activity - yes, I expect them to behave differently in this jurisdiction.

I cant speak for Deirdre Hargey and what she knows or doesn't know about the brutal murder of Robert McCartney, suffice to say the cover-up is despicable.

The "Stormont-gate" affair was clearly politically contrived. A mass raid to bring down the institutions as pressure on Unionists power-sharing with SF with an armed IRA mounted.
The charges were quietly dropped as "not in the public interest", really? Who gets to decide that IRA spies, that brought down the democratic institutions, should not be charged?
Would it have anything to do with the alleged 'spy-ring' involving a British spy, Denis Donaldson? Its clear to me that yes is the answer there.
I don't know of Ted Howell, suffice to say government ministers taking advice or direction from unelected advisors is not uncommon. If British media outlets are accurate in their reporting today, its clear that unelected advisors are wielding alot of influence on decision making of 10 Downing St.

But to answer your question directly, in consideration of the standing down and disarmament of IRA, with orders to engage in political activity - yes, I expect them to behave differently in this jurisdiction.
Might be useful to inform yourself of Ted Howell. All Ministers have special advisors, they're paid for by the State, they have an official role, what the SF Minister did here was not "run something by" Ted Howell, he asked was it ok for him to make a decision. There's a big difference. It's all covered in Sam McBride's book "Burned" on the Cash for Ash.

All Ministers have special advisors, they're paid for by the State, they have an official role, what the SF Minister did here was not "run something by" Ted Howell, he asked was it ok for him to make a decision. There's a big difference.

Yes, its not good enough. I assume that they will get this sorted and register any special advisors in accordance with regulations.

FF open to talks with all parties except SF. This puts the ball into Leo's court. The coalition of FF/FG is finally emerging.
Hope they get on with quickly.
The Duke appears to have called this one correctly.

FG won't enter Government with FF unless there is absolutely no choice i.e. another election and the same stalemate. There is nothing to be achieved by entering it. They will be decimated at the next election no matter what they do. Everything they do will be portrayed as some right wing evil plot. They could house every single person in a 4 bed house and they would be accused of being in league with rich developers. It would be a recruitment dream for SF and others. I can't listen to it anymore. Let the loonies form their Government without FF and FG even if it takes another election. As someone said, it is funny how before the election it was all about getting FF and FG out. Now they are being blamed for not wanting to be in.

As we have seen in NI, SF are much more comfortable being in opposition criticising from the opposition benches. The solution to any problem is obvious in opposition, but more complex in power. The Health Service in NI is nothing to write home about. The "failed state" is bailed out by Westminster. I think SF would be happier as the opposition in the Dail, allowing them to continue criticising and offering fairy tale solutions. Having the Ra in the Dept of Justice would likely result in pardons for Martin Ferris and the killers of Jerry McCabe. Criminal

FG won't enter Government with FF unless there is absolutely no choice i.e. another election and the same stalemate. There is nothing to be achieved by entering it. They will be decimated at the next election no matter what they do. Everything they do will be portrayed as some right wing evil plot. They could house every single person in a 4 bed house and they would be accused of being in league with rich developers. It would be a recruitment dream for SF and others. I can't listen to it anymore. Let the loonies form their Government without FF and FG even if it takes another election. As someone said, it is funny how before the election it was all about getting FF and FG out. Now they are being blamed for not wanting to be in.
I'm usually with you Sunny but I am not sure here. The disaffected/looney base is not much bigger than 30% and maybe at an apogee. A stable centrist government for 5 years which might actually get things done compared to the zombie confidence trick and supply farce will not add to that 30%. The big problem for FF/FG is maintaining their individual raison d'etre and is Leo prepared to be MM's Tan for 5 years? Leo might have to step aside.

FF/FG/Greens now 7/4 favourite with PP, looks like I won't get that Sunny pint after all. :(

I'm usually with you Sunny but I am not sure here. The disaffected/looney base is not much bigger than 30% and maybe at an apogee. A stable centrist government for 5 years which might actually get things done compared to the zombie confidence trick and supply farce will not add to that 30%. The big problem for FF/FG is maintaining their individual raison d'etre and is Leo prepared to be MM's Tan for 5 years? Leo might have to step aside.

FF/FG/Greens now 7/4 favourite with PP, looks like I won't get that Sunny pint after all. :(

Yeah I think FF have scuppered our great bet! You could well be right but can you imagine a Dail with a FF/FG/Green Government and an opposition of nearly 40 SF members, Left parties and useless independents like the Healy Raes. Whatever the Government achieved would be lost in the noise and I just couldn't see anything but a meltdown at the next election....I still think FG are happy to be in opposition at the moment after the election. Not sure what can entice them back in.

I did see Gerry looking like a hippy attend their parliamentary party meeting today...And they wonder why people think unelected people might be the ones in charge.

As much as I'd be happy to have a stable government with responsible ministers, I have to agree with Sunny that this will mean even more finger pointing, blaming and general noise making from SF which will garner even more support for them, without them having to prove or back up any of their assertions.
It may postpone their rise to power but I would really fear that a FF/FG/Greens government now will result in a much stronger position for SF come the next election and that would really worry me.

I'm coming around to the idea of a centre left FF/FG/Greens coalition. The good work done by the current government, particularly in housing, is starting to bear fruit. The inevitable lag between rebuilding the economy and capital expenditure is closing. The Shinners in power will just do a Trump and take the credit for the heavy lifting done by the previous government, just like FG did for the good work done in the last year of the FF/Greens government.

Matt Carthy on RTE Radio 1's Late Debate this week didn't deny proclaiming "Up the RA" on occasion and did not in any way condemn David Cullinane's comments rather just tried to trivialise them and shift the focus.

in a down turn the centre government would fall asunder overnight not a hope of keeping it together,it wont take much for Mortgage defaults to kick in 188 per week on unemployment benefit after feeding your self leaves very little to pay a rent /mortgage me think,
only option left is state borrowing to assist or default on mortgages,
We should be fowdard funding a downturn not ,
Are you implying that a left oriented govt would be much more stable in an economic downturn? Based on the internal Sinn Fein squabbles over the years and the fact that SPBP couldn’t agree on the colour of the sky I think it would take far less to collapse them.

Im not sure how much extra you think a left govt would be putting into unemployment benefit that a household would be capable of paying rent/mortgage and all other household expenses easily. If they are I might just change my mind about SF and happily go on the dole.

Are you implying that a left oriented govt would be much more stable in an economic downturn? Based on the internal Sinn Fein squabbles over the years and the fact that SPBP couldn’t agree on the colour of the sky I think it would take far less to collapse them.

Im not sure how much extra you think a left govt would be putting into unemployment benefit that a household would be capable of paying rent/mortgage and all other household expenses easily. If they are I might just change my mind about SF and happily go on the dole.
No
I am talking about the failure of FF/FG to put in place a safety net for the people who get up early in the morning and going to work seeing at present close to 20% of payroll go in prsi/usc finding themselves out of work through no fault of there own ,
Finding out FF/FG have it already spent it on people who never work in there life, so there is none left for people who paid into the system ,

PRSI stands for Pay Related Social Insurance , pay related my A$$ , ,

Back