No Claims Discount Query

BobbyFowler

I've got my car insured with Axa. Just got a renewal quote & it states that my No Claims Discount is for 2 years. Just over 2 years ago my car was parked outside the house (house was on a busy street corner). Another car came around the corner, smashed into my car & sped off. I called the Gardai & they came out. Car was towed away & I found that it was written off. I got just over 2K for it. I've got no documentation to prove it but I was certainly under the impression that this wasn't considered a claim by Axa but that were I to claim again that it would. My quote is 750 Euro - it would only be around 400 if I had the full no claims. I'd like to be armed with some info before calling them. Anyone know if I'm in the right or if they are?

Sounds like a claim to me.... what did they say at the time to make you think it was not ?

Was sure that I had something in the post saying that this wasn't going to affect my no claims bonus but that any subsequent claim would. I thought in cases like this (where there is no offender) that there's some form of Insurance Fund where these payments come from. Maybe I'm imagining the whole thing

Sounds like you claimed for accidental damage, rather than make a claim through the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureaux) which would deal with such incidents like your 'hit-and-run'

Would you not have noticed this last year when you received your renewal premium ?

Many people (not necessarily the OP) seem to think that a no-claim-bonus is actually a no-blame-bonus. It's not - it's a no claim bonus. If you make a claim, you lose the bonus. If your car is damaged by another driver, you may often be better off claiming against the other driver directly (to protect your NCB) rather than claiming against your own comprehensive policy.

I actually am fairly sure that it wasn't going to affect it. It could have been like some kind of no claim bonus protection. On my renewal form it says "Own Damage" under the claim. Best bet is I give these guys a buzz & clear it up.

Axas NCb is confusing. You essentially have 2 NCbs. One for own damage and one for third party damage. You're as well of calling them as I can never understand their bonus.

You're right, it is confusing. Gave them a call. Eventhough I'm down as 2 Years Without A Claim occuring on the policy, I'm actually getting the full No Claims Bonus (works out at 70% NCD). What got me wondering was the fact that a number of friends are paying 400 Euro + for insurance while this quote is for 755 Euro. They say that they hadn't updated something or other & that my actual quote is 527 Euro.

Sounds like you claimed for accidental damage, rather than make a claim through the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureaux) which would deal with such incidents like your 'hit-and-run'

Motor Insurance Bureaux only deal with claims where there is personal injuries involved.

Eventhough I'm down as 2 Years Without A Claim occuring on the policy, I'm actually getting the full No Claims Bonus (works out at 70% NCD)

So, if you move to another insurer you will only get 2 years NCB from them.
Get AXA to reissue renewal showing the full NCB

Should be grand - got an email from them......
Further to your recent e-mail we can confirm that the incident dated
31/05/2007 was recorded as an own damage claim as we made payments to you under the terms of your comprehensive policy, however, as you have correctly pointed out this claim will not effect your policy as it falls under the terms of the most recent MIBI agreement.

Hi
That is incorrect, they deal with both damage and injury claims.

This is indeed the case. I claimed for damage to my car some years ago and got paid ( mind you it took a solicitor well over a year to get the money from MIB!!)