No Claims Bonus vs Actual Claim free years

aircobra19

I have just noticed that my policy (with a protected no claims) has a different figure for No Claims Bonus vs Actual Claim free years. Its probably because there was a claim against windscreen cover, which according to the policy does not effect the no claims bonus". However is this all pointless if a new insurer does not accepts another insurers No Claims Bonus but only the Actual Claim free years?

As with driving under as a named driver this probably depends on the specific insurers policy?

Which is one reason I don't pay for no claims bonus protection. It's not clear that it actually buys you what it says on the tin as insurers will ask if you're claims & accident free.

I'm in a similar position with similar insurance level.

This anomaly was explained to me before but unfortunately I forget the logic...

think it's a 'normal' thing though

Have you been insured with different companies?The company you're with now will only show the amount of no claims for the time you have been with them.Windscreen claims(providing the claim didn't exceed maximum amount allowed)do not affect your no claims bonus.

I suspect I am just waking up to the fact that theres a big spin put on no claims bonus and additional charges to protect it. Especially like windscreen cover. However to get the best deal you need to shop around between different insurers. But as they often don't accept other insurers no claims bonus only years claim free, or accident free, which is entirely different. You can effectively lose your no claims bonus when you switch insurers.

Maintaining your no claims bonus ties you into that insurer.

So if you are shopping around you have to compare if switching insurers saves more money taking into account you'll lose your no claims bonus.

Yes I'm in the process of switching insurers which is why I spotted it.

Back