No back seat buckles on car bought yesterday!

Petrolhead84

I bought a car yesterday via a private sale. The car is great and everything but there is one problem - it has no back seatbelt buckles that the belt clips into!

The seatbelts are present but no buckles. It's not something I looked for when haggling with the vendor because I was more interested in the engine and bodywork and presumed that it was a given that there were back seat belt buckles!

I am wondering whether it is a big job to rectify this problem as I have been looking around online and cannot find any threads on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

I have lifted up the backseat and they are nowhere to be found. I contacted the vendor and he said, "Maybe they were bolted out, I cannot remember, sorry."

It's a sports car so I know it's a stupid position to be in but I spent most of my time inspecting the engine.

It was NCT'd only a few months ago so I am wondering:
(a) how it would pass the NCT with no buckles; and
(b) why would anyone take out seat belt buckles?!

I assume this car is pre-1991? All cars pre '91 did not have compulsary rear seat belts, hence they don't need them to pass the NCT.

If its post '91, you may have been sold a pup. very unusual to have the rear belts removed though

what car/year is it? that would help a lot with responses

I assume this car is pre-1991? All cars pre '91 did not have compulsary rear seat belts, hence they don't need them to pass the NCT.

If its post '91, you may have been sold a pup. very unusual to have the rear belts removed though

what car/year is it? that would help a lot with responses

What are the seat belts for so?

A lot of people never use the back seat on their cars. So may never actually check this.

Thanks for the responses.

It's post 1991 actually.

My mechanic had a look and there are definitely no buckle receivers in the car. He was of the view that perhaps the back seats were taken out before to make way for a sound system. Nevertheless, he has offered to fit them for me so all is well that ends well!

Thanks again.

It was NCT'd only a few months ago so I am wondering:
(a) how it would pass the NCT with no buckles; and
(b) why would anyone take out seat belt buckles?!

THis is suspious. My car failed the NCT because the seat belt buckles on the back were not visible. Of course, they were down behind the seats, but it is definitely checked in the NCT.

Japanese and US Honda CRX's were not fitted with rear belts. Whereas European ones were. Maybe it something along those lines?

I just thought it was weird as I have never come across it!

Anyway, I am going to get two back buckle receivers in the scrap yard for €10, so happy days!!

Back