nissan micra cut out problem.

starlite68

hi
my wifes 97 nissan micra started missing and spitting when she was driveing home last night,the engine then cut out and she ran down the battery,i jumped from my car and it started fine,drove for abour five hundred yards and died again,started it again but just kept revving up and diying, any help or ideas really welcome.

My guess, and its a just guess is theres a problem with the alternator. Its stopped charging the battery, and supplying electrical power to the rest of the engine. When you jump it you put a little charge in the battery, which keeps it going for a minute or two, then it runs out as the alternators not working. I could be wrong though. Alternators do fail occasionally.

If it is the alternator. If you have a battery charger, you could out the battery on that overnight, and it might give you enough battery power to move the car a short distance the next morning.

Some older Micras I think may have had a battery problem - something about the immobiliser draining too much battery power or something?