Nissan Almera Vs Mazda 323

Caveat

Am looking at 03 1.5 hatch versions of each.

My main concern is reliability - everything else secondary. Both are well known to be reliable cars and although neither is inspiring to drive, my guess is that the Almera will be slightly better in this respect. Not of huge importance to me but the Mazda is better looking I think... but due to a flooded market, I'll probably get a better cash price for the Almera.

In a very general sense, my feeling is that the Mazda is "better made" e.g. superior build quality, less 'cheap' bits.

Resale not that important to me - will be keeping as long as I can.

What do you all think is the better buy?

I'd go for the 323 Almera's can be very troublesome particularly with gearboxes and stretching timing chains.Both of these can be very expensive repairs.

Thanks

But according to most reports/surveys the Almera is very reliable (as is the 323 of course) - is it not just that there are simply so many of them about that problems that you mention surface?

But I was kind of leaning toward the 323 anyway...

Hardly a scientific assessment, but...........

Mrs Jock has an 01 Mazda 323f, loves it, & it's as reliable as you'd expect. Wouldn't pull the skin off custard, but otherwise pleasant enough to drive.

One of my mates has an Almera & wishes he hadn't. Been garaged a few times & depreciated like crazy, resale value so poor he feels stuck with it.

Cheers Jock

Does she have the 1.3 or the 1.5?

I know the 1.5 323 is no great performer - I don't really mind this - but I would mind if it's actually annoyingly sluggish - is it that bad?

Was just about to post this....it's the 1.3 she has.

Her second 323, she had a 1.5 before, which was a wee bit more spirited.

Nissan were taken over by Renault who now supply and make some of the parts for their cars.

I don't think reliability, Renault and after sales service are words that go well together.

Murt

Mazda is a better car. If reliabilty is your key issue, there's no choice.

One is a Ford, the other is a Renault, one is assembled in Sunderland, the other (mainly) in France. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I would go for 323 as I have an Almera '02 1.5 with 67,000 miles only on the clock and the gearbox is gone. We are looking at almost 3000 euro for a new one with labour. I would never go with Nissan again!!

Up to 3 weeks ago I had a 1996 Nissan Almera 1.4 GX Hatchback and never had a problem in all that time.

Hope I am as lucky with the new car