Nintendo

Dun

My 8 year old has asked for a Nintendo DS for xmas, i have never used one so i would appreciate some guidance on what is up to date. From reading other threads I see the DS Lite has replaced the old DS. She says she doesnt want a WII. She also wants a Mario & Luigi game any advice? Thanks

DS Lite is the latest in the DS family - it is slimmer and lighter than the previous version. It's now available in 7 colours (black, white, silver, pink, red, green and aqua). Standard price for the basic console is about €150, but it's worth checking out the various 'bundles' (console plus games/accessories) in the various shops that stock them. The Mario and Luigi game is most likely New Super Mario Brothers (although there are a few other Mario Brothers games, all of which feature characters named Mario and Luigi).

I personally prefer the DS Lite over any other handheld console for the range of "intelligent" games - such as Brain Training - available for it. I would advise buying screen protectors (they don't come with the console but are available in shops such as Game and Gamestop). Because the games are mostly played using a stylus, the screen can get damaged without the protectors.

I have both and defo prefer the light, shop around as there are some great packages out there with good games, mario is a great game, if you can afford it (or maybe a grandparent can buy one) get a second game with it. Some shops will give you a beginners pack with it, and a screen protector comes with that, it is advicable. But the Nintendo ds lite is a cool piece of equipment and worth the buy. (make sure you ask her what colour she wants as this is the cool thing to get the right colour, it is a must, with her friends and school mates) There are a lot od educational fun games, go to a shop and ask advice wich is the "in" game to get. I definately wil get super mario brothers and a fun learning game.

I have a 13 year-old and 7 year-old and both LOVE the DS Lite. Its a great yoke especially for travelling and gives parents some peace and quiet. Games typically cost from 30 euros up; you can get pre-owned ones in GAME and other such game shops. Shop around for the console but if its a Christmas present don't leave it too late as often stores run out. Been there ;)! Warning: tell her to close (fold over) the console when walking.. if it falls when open the hinges are very prone to breaking and sticky tape holding it together is not too nice.
PS I have sent you a PM.

My 8 year old has asked for a Nintendo DS for xmas, i have never used one so i would appreciate some guidance on what is up to date. From reading other threads I see the DS Lite has replaced the old DS. She says she doesnt want a WII. She also wants a Mario & Luigi game any advice? Thanks

See below for image, not saying you should buy it in Smyths but just to show you what you are after ! You might get it cheaper elsewhere.

You'll get games cheaper here - www.play.com

The DSi is the latest one. The DS lite is old hat now :D
Now sure if it's for sale in Europe yet, but it's out in Japan.

This is about the new DSi. Not available until next year in Europe.

Nintendo DSi Sets Sail For Europe -
The hugely popular Nintendo DS has undergone another makeover. To the naked eye it may not seem as drastic as the last one, but the new Nintendo DSi is packing some great new features. The most obvious additions to the Nintendo DSi are the two 3 megapixel cameras, one on the back and one in between the screens. This opens up the possibility for some innovative games, something Nintendo has become renowned for in recent years. The other major change is the loss of the expansion slot, but the addition of an SD card slot. This compliments not only the cameras, but also a new audio player that comes built into the Nintendo DSi. The extra memory provided by an SD card makes saving photos and music easy. Other welcome additions to the Nintendo DSi are larger screens, both of which are now touch-screens, on board Opera internet browser, and slimmer casing. The touch-screen Nintendo DS has surpassed the original Gameboy as the most popular handheld games console of all time, with over 84 million units sold worldwide. The Nintendo DS sold 170 thousand units in its first five days of release in Japan, so expect it to sell out on its European release Spring 2009.

DS lite about €150 here and about 100 sterling up north.

As others have said, the hinge mechanism is the weak point. As long as you are aware. Its only going to get damaged it the thing is bounced when open or the 2 halves pulled apart. There are plenty of games available so the skies the limit

PM me if you need any info where to get multiple games on one DS cart..!!!

Back