Nikon digital camera

doll

Hi, i'm looking to get into photography,i only want to spend about €5oo or €600 on a camera. Does anyone have a nikon one they could recommend to me? and is there anything in particular i should be looking to get with this to start off? Thanks

Assuming you're talking digital SLR, the entry level Nikon is the D60 and should be about €600 in the shops here. Probably cheaper on the web. Other things to look at:
Very good photography forum on boards.ie, lots of info worth looking at.
The "consensus" seems to be that Nikon & Canon are the market leaders. Other cameras may be as good, but you lose out on lens choice and availability.
Difference between Nikon & Canon seems to largely come down to taste. Once you buy one though, you've bought into a family of lenses.
To spend less, you could look at second hand (adverts.ie), or also the older D40 is still for sale new and considered a very good camera.

yes it was the digital SLR i was looking at, thanks for the advice tiger

is another great forum where you might pick up some info. Also you might get a better camera second hand in the [broken link removed] section.

a secondhand d50 or d70s would be a better choice.
going to a new d60 or d40 etc costs more and you have less options in the long run if pixels aren't yr main concern.
If you need to invest then get the best glass you can afford.

yes it was the digital SLR i was looking at, thanks for the advice tiger

Here is my advise to you, keep in mind that I'm assuming that you are a novice to photography, based on your original post:
Cameras don't take pictures, people do!!!
I have seen it too often with friends and colleagues who spend a fortune on SLR cameras, that (a) they don't know how to use and (b) have far too advanced features for almost all amateurs. All they end up with is extremely large file sizes for pictures that are basically snap shots that could have been taken with the most basic consumer product. You are better off getting a cheaper camera and investing the difference in books or even a course, that will teach you about equipment, using light, camera settings, composure, preparation, flash, etc.
If I were you I would do the following:
1) Buy a second hand DSLR, something like a D60, or a new, but cheaper D40 maybe
2) Make sure you have one decent lense, something like 18mm to 85mm is plenty when starting off (unless you are looking to do wildlife photography, in which case you will also need a zoom lense up to 300mm)
3) Leave room in your budget for a tripod, extra memory card, extra battery, decent camera bag, good editing SW, etc.
4) Buy some good books on photography (I can recommend the author Rick Sammons) or check if a college near you offers a course. While you learn from these, look up websites of well known photographers (Ansel Adams, Lisa Kristine, etc.) for examples of good images and inspiration for you own.
5) Most importantly, get out as much as possible to take pictures and learn from experience.

thanks chris, great advice, i have money seperate from my camera for accesseries etc, a trip to my local library will be in order also, i just love taking pictures, particularly architectural photos. I'm off to New york for a second trip in march so i want to get my camera before then to get used to it before i go...
thanks everyone for the advice

I agree with the previous poster that the DSLR's have alot of functions which take a while to know how to use, but getting to know how to use them is half the fun I buy Practical Photography magazine every month it has great features and explains things very simply, also I am doing a diploma online with CMIT in which you have to do research and send in projects which are assessed and either passed or failed when the tutor feels you have enough knowledge on the subject. Good luck with it, it's a great hobby.

doll - if you dont get it before you go, visit b&H near penn station www.bhphotovideo.com . They have the best selection of cameras you will get anywhere and at the best prices. I got my olympus e-510 there last yr for about eur 500 when it was approx Eur 1000 on grafton st for the same package

Here is my advise to you, keep in mind that I'm assuming that you are a novice to photography, based on your original post:
Cameras don't take pictures, people do!!!

Some very sound advice there Chris . I want to buy a compact camera and have up to 200 euro to spend .
Can you please tell me where is best to buy and what make of compact camera .

I want to get a good camera with clear pictures , touch screen , large screen , easy to use ., etc

Please help !

Some very sound advice there Chris . I want to buy a compact camera and have up to 200 euro to spend .
Can you please tell me where is best to buy and what make of compact camera .

I want to get a good camera with clear pictures , touch screen , large screen , easy to use ., etc

Please help !

I'm not too up-to-date with compact cameras, but in general you can't go far wrong with Nikon or Canon. My preference is Nikon, but that's just my personal preference. I have bought camera equipment at www.warehouseexpress.co.uk and found them quite good. However, I did know exactly what I wanted before I went in.
You might be better off going into a digital camera shop and trying out a couple of different makes and models. You can then always buy it online, or in the shop if the the price is right.

I have a Nikon d40x and it was only E499 from Sam McCauley- great camera and great price :) easy to use...

There is lots of good Camera information on
[broken link removed]
worth having a look

Back