Night or day tour to Alcatraz

Goggin

Going to San Fran in a couple of weeks and really looking forward to visiting Alcatraz. A colleague mentioned that the night tour is much better than the day tour. Anybody out there done this?

Cheers

Main thing is to book it in advance. You can do it online. We were there 2 months ago. I'd booked it ages ago. It was only when we arrived in San Fran that I realised I'd booked the wrong week! Tried to get another ticket but they were booked out for the whole week. I do remember reading in the Lonely Planet guide that it's worth booking the evening trip.

I went to Alcatraz in June of this year and we booked the trip a week in advance through their website. We did the day tour which I thought was excellent. I really would loved the night tour but I know I wouldn't sleep for weeks after doing it. Some of the places there are creepy enough during the day let alone being there at night. So I think if you have the balls to do it at night go for it. :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the ‘night tour’. We took the 6.10pm boat to Alcatraz (takes about ten minutes) so it was still bright when we arrived on The Rock. The light faded as we made our way around the prison which added to the eerie atmosphere. The view of the SF night-skyline from Alcatraz island is quite nice too. I would recommend the night tour and, as mentioned above, definitely book before hand. The official website for Alcatraz tours change recently from Blue & Gold fleet to Alcatraz Cruises:
https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

If you can get a night tour go for that. I went during the day and would have much preferred the night one I think.

I did the night tour last night.. not at all scary. It is lovely weather here in San Francisco.

Last night we had a perfect sunset so the cruise out was beautiful. Lots of people say it can be (and normally is)extremely cold out there at night so be warned.

We took the 6.50pm tour which returns from the island at 9.25pm - however we took the earlier return ferry at 8.45 (dep 6.10pm) as we had had enough in the 2 hours.

The tour is modified at night with areas cordoned off, obviously because of health and safety. Throughly enjoyed it though.

Last edited:
Did the night tour a few years back; went over on the first boat when it was still bright and got to see the island for about an hour before the sun set. So if you don't know whether you would prefer to see Alcatraz in day or night that is the best way to do it. Personally I thought the night part was much better. Also on the night part they do talks and stuff which they wouldn't do during the normal daytime trips.

Also to reiterate what other posts stated, you have to book at least a week in advance if you want any hope of getting to Alcatraz. I ddin't know this and was going to get tickets when I as over there; a guy at work told me about it two weeks before I travelled,thankfully!!!!!!

we did the day tour and i thought it was great... i dont know if the exhaustion from jet lag added to this but i have never been so cold in my life!!!! Bring warm clothes. even if its warm on the mainland! i had t shirt, cardi and cosy hoody and still froze!!! brrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

Back