nice town to live near Limerick (Cork or Tralee side)

S

sidh

Hi,

I'm hoping to start work in Limerick very soon. As I'm fairly new to County Limerick, I need information about any town(s) near Limerick good for living and commuting on daily basis. We prefer living in countryside as opposed to a city life. Any suggestions would be really helpful.
Thanks
Sidh

Agreed. But a tad expensive..?

There are lots of very nice towns and villages within 15-20km of Limerick. Where will you have to get to every morning and drive home from every evening? Do you need to be near a school? etc.

Kilmallock is a lovely medieval town 30mins from limerick and 1hr from cork. It was walled and 2 of the four gates are still there along with an abbey. I have been there a few times and think it's a real gem. Rent is probably cheap too.

Thanks all for some nice suggestions.
DrMoriarty..we don't need to be near any school. Most likely I'll be driving near Raheen for my work. Are there any other options apart from Adare?
Thanks a lot.

Patrickswell is 10-15mins from Raheen. Its alot nicer since it was bypassed and seems to be thriving.

Patrickswell is lovely and it's only 5 minutes from Raheen on the Bypass. Nice pub's, great Chinese, shops etc.

I'm from Kilmallock and it is a nice town and house prices are fairly low. On the Tralee side (N69) places to have a look at would be Ardagh, Mungret, Newcastle West, Loughill, Glin, Foynes and Caherconlish. All these places are no longer than 30 minutes away from Limerick Loughill and Foynes are nice country places.

On the Cork side you would have Charleville (35min), Kilmallock (25min), Bruff (18-20min), Bruree (18-20min) and Dromine/Atlacca (25min) to name a few places. Out of those I think the cheapest would be Dromine/Atlacca which is a very small country town. Kilmallock is getting big and turning into a "mini" Limerick city but still a nice place to live.

Bruff is a nice town again getting bigger because of the proximity to Limerick.

If you need more information on any of the town just drop me a pm and I'd be happy to help.

AM

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.
Anto..I will PM you once we shortlist / finalise few places from the list.
Thanks for the info.

Anything out the Foynes road would have to be viewed in the light that it is a bad road, hard to overtake on it, and full of slow drivers. Try driving from Limerick to Glin/Foynes on a regular weekday at commuting times. Foynes is nice but has a reputation of being rough from the incoming ship workers. Glin is lovely actually, really a pretty town and nice views. Well it's more a village really, no? But again I'm not sure it's a comfortable commute.