Nice town in Roscommon

elainem

I'm moving to Roscommon for work. I would prefer to live in Carrick-on-Shannon as I love the place, but the road is bad between there and Roscommon Town. I like Boyle also, but the istance is roughly the same between Roscommon Towan and Boyle as between Carrick-on-Shannon and Boyle.

I also would like to be nearer the Galway side of Roscommon, as my extended family are betweenTuam and Claremorris.

I like the arts, hill-walking, book clubs etc. Roscommon Town didn't really do it for me. Can anyone recommend anywhere else in Roscommon - so far I haven't heard good reports about the County - but hopefully someone here might have something else to say on it.

Thanks.

Hi! Irishmoss, I've though of Athlone, but would prefer something smaller. I've also heard that Athlone can be quite rough. I have school-going kids so don't want anywhere too mad. Carrick fits the bill in most ways in that it is smallish and I wouldn't consider it rough at all - just that the road is bad between there and Roscommon. Maybe I should look at Athlone again.

Is your work in Roscommon Town?

I grew up in Athlone and moved to Roscommon Town 10 years ago. I love Roscommon Town and would never move back to Athlone. Can I ask what put you off Roscommon? It's got pretty much every thing that Athlone has. It has a new Cinema, Bowling Alley, Tesco's, Lidl, Dunnes Stores, Aldi, Boots etc. Houses are cheaper and crime is low.

It also has a wonderful Town Park and Castle, Art Centre, Book Clubs and Mote Park Forest (popular for hill walking) which is just outside town. Everything is here in Roscommon Town. Only downside is that Roscommon Town is a least an hour away from a Hospital since the downgrade of the local one.

If I still haven't convinced you then my recommendations of places to live near Roscommon would be:

1. Carrick On Shannon. (Great nightlife & restaurants)
2. Castlecoote (Lovely sleepy village)
3. Athlone (Good range of facilities)
4. Boyle (quite, 15 mins from Carrick)
5. Knockcroghery
6. Athleague

Last edited:
Hi! Guns' n' roses for you reply. The job is in Castlerea, but I don't want to live in a very small place. The other criterion was good roads in and out of whereever I live.

I love Carrick and the arty farty feel of the place. I don't know if there is as much arts/theatre in Roscommon, but it sounds like from what you said, I should consider it.

Hi Elainem.

The only decent sized towns within commuting distance from Castlerea are Roscommon, Carrick On Shannon, Boyle, Claremorris, Ballyhaunis, Tuam & Ballaghaderreen.

I don't know much about Claremorris, Ballyhaunis or Tuam.

There's not much to do in Castlerea or Ballaghaderreen.

I agree that Carrick has a nice arty feel about it. It gets a lot of tourists coming off the River Shannon which runs through it. Check out the Oars Man for the best high end pub food in town. Bear in mind Carrick's a party town popular with Stag/Hen nights on the weekend. The most direct route for commuting from Castlerea would be across the country roads through Frenchpark. Commute time would be about 45 mins.

Roscommon Town is probably the best option when it comes to commuting distance. It's the better road and closer. You should consider how far you have to travel to work. I currently commute 1 hour to work and it's costing me a lot more these days due to rising fuel prices. Commute time to Roscommon would be 30 mins.

As for arts in Roscommon Town, check out the following link for the local Arts Centre.
http://www.roscommonartscentre.ie/

Back