Nice guys finish last....in business?

Betsy Og

No schoolboy sniggering down the back now.....

With the Ryanair case it is revealed....quelle surprise.... that 'the main man' is a bit of an abrasive bully. I cannot stand shows like The Apprentice with its Lord of the Flies undertone, celebrity chefs total bullies, and then there's the corporatisation of rugby/business/business/rugby with alpha male plastered all through it.

So, are 'nice guys' doomed to be also rans in this cut throat racket? Can you have passion for your business without being a (select expletive)?

Fergal Quinn is one I can think of. Maybe Nevin Maguire. Are these just lighthouses in the bog of an otherwise chest thumping culture???

No schoolboy sniggering down the back now.....

With the Ryanair case it is revealed....quelle surprise.... that 'the main man' is a bit of an abrasive bully. I cannot stand shows like The Apprentice with its Lord of the Flies undertone, celebrity chefs total bullies, and then there's the corporatisation of rugby/business/business/rugby with alpha male plastered all through it.

So, are 'nice guys' doomed to be also rans in this cut throat racket? Can you have passion for your business without being a (select expletive)?

Fergal Quinn is one I can think of. Maybe Nevin Maguire. Are these just lighthouses in the bog of an otherwise chest thumping culture???

I'm a joy to work with ;-)

Fergal Quinn had a very pleasant public persona...

I agree completely with that.

Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, is universally liked and considered very fair and reasonable by his employees. Considering what he's achieved with Disney being a nice guy hasn't harmed him.

Oh dear, so Purple giveth (Bob Iger) and Purple taketh away (Fergal).
Ben Dunne spoke about Fergal Quinn and said that while he was a friend and he liked him Quinn was totally ruthless in business and that Dunne didn't recognise the person everyone was talking about after he died. I think that was fair. While he was a nice guy he was certainly no soft touch.

I've always believed that if you need to shout at your employees then you aren't a good boss and/or have hired the wrong people.

Best bosses and manager's are tough but fair. No different to any other profession is it.

The Billy Butlin model of management. " Give someone a title and you can pay them This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language"

Back