NIB -Marketing survey.

IsleOfMan

I got an email from a marketing company on behalf of NIB last week to take apart in a survey.
It appears that NIB told these people that I was a customer of NIB and also gave them my email address. This is the excuse that they gave me for so doing under the Data Protection Act. [broken link removed]
I have never been asked or advised by NIB that I might be asked to take part in any survey.

Any thoughts on this?

If you don't want to do the survey just tell them and ask them not to contact you again.

That should be the end of it.

Was it a marketing survey, or a quality of service (QS) survey? maybe different criteria for these things. Given that I almost always opt out of marketing tick boxes on forms, I would still occasionally get QS surveys online, and as callybags says, you can always say you dont want it, or indeed just not complete it. Usually though for QS surveys I fill them out, as how else can companies know how they are doing on service?

The policy is pretty well stated in the DPC page you linked. If they gave you the opportunity to object and you didn't, and the data has subsequently been deleted, then they're covered. If they didn't, you did, or it wasn't, then they're not. Since you know all this, wouldn't your time be better spent discussing the issue with the Data Protection Commissioner's office?

I opened an account with AIB last week. I didn't fill out any forms. The lady at the desk filled out everything on her computer, from the info I had given her, photo ID, copy of utility bills etc. She then printed it out, had me sign the last page and off it went to some internal department for review. That was it. There was no paperwork presented to me where I could tick to opt out of or into marketing or customer service surveys. The very next day I got a phone call from some third party survey company that the bank contract out to get feedback on their customer service. I gave the lady at the bank very high marks. I went off on the bank for giving out my personal contact details without my say so.

The checkboxes, wrongly, tend to be opt-out; and customer service people tend, wrongly, to skip past them with nary a thought. You need to specifically catch their attention and opt-out. If they're particularly ditzy, you need to double-check their work.

Go back into the bank and complain, and ask that your "high marks" be withdrawn.