NIB -how good is their mortgage service?

scallywag

I'm going to be getting a mortgage soon, and currently National Irish Bank offer the best rate for my situation. However, the broker I'm dealing with tells me that their service is absolutely TERRIBLE. Very slow in responding to anything, etc.

Now I'm suspicious. I spoke to NIB directly and the lady said she didn't think they deal with brokers at all. So I wonder if my broker is telling me the whole truth...

Can anyone give me feedback on how good/poor NIB's service actually is?

Thanks in advance.

I have had dealings with NIB on mortgages in the past - 3 restructures in about 7 years. What I would say is that they are as good/bad as any other bank on service.

However, where the broker is coming from was the last 2 months where the bank took a shipload of new customers in on Fixed Mortgage offerings that were a no-brainer in that they were lower than most other bank's variable/ECB tracker rates.

This should have somewhat eased off because they increased these rates, albeit to still very attractive rates.

Might I suggest that you deal with their College Green Branch, where I know I had no hassles?

It is true that for years NIB did not deal with brokers, a legacy of the scabby previous owners NAB. May well now deal with some brokers.

Once in, you can view your account with E-banking, and if you want, you can make fortnightly payments which vastly reduces your interest bill overall - you are effectively making 13 months payments in a year, but also less time between each capitalisation of interest.

Thanks for that Marksa, sounds good. I get very suspicious when someone starts pushing me in one direction.

I'd second Marksa's comments regarding your broker's motivations. Most brokers earn commissions from the lenders they steer clients to, and some lenders pay fatter commissions than others. NIB don't deal through brokers, only through their own branch network — so the quality of service is likely to be as good as the quality of staff at your local branch. I've been more than happy with mine, so far (and with the 3.45% three-year fixed rate I switched to last January!)

Of course, with online/'phone banking options, you don't necessarily have to go to your nearest branch — somewhere like College Green might be just as convenient, if you work in the city centre.

I don't deal with NIB, but my advice on a mortgage provider is generally this-pick the one that will cost you the least in the long run.

Unless you intend remortgaging frequently a la marska, once you get the cheque, you won't really have much need for their 'service'.

We went through UB for our mortgage-it was pretty stressful-for around 4-6 weeks. After that (2 years later), we have had no need to contact them about anything. We get statements every so often, and that's it.

So I would go with NIB if they are offering the 'best' deal-service is largely irrelevant when it comes to mortgages IMHO.

I found the branch in Ballymount to be great , manager called Brendan very good all round

Just got my mortgage through NIB in Galway, and found them very efficient. As far as I was concerned, the interest rate was the only criterion, and they have the cheapest tracker rate currently available.

Sounds like the broker is just trying to influence your decision, NIB do not deal with brokers therefore if you choose to go with them no commission for broker

Thanks for all the info folks. I've been talking to this broker for over a year now, and he's given me some of his time, processing all the forms to get me loan approval.

But I'm now thinking of just going straight to NIB and getting the mortgage from them. I feel slightly guilty about this, but only slightly. The brokers choose a certain business model and this is a risk they take!

Back