NIB forgot to order foreign exchange

kimmage

Hi,

I placed an FX order through National Irish Bank recently, (last Wednasday 21 May). I was told that I could collect this today 29th May. I went to O'Connell Street to collect the money to be told that they never received my order.

I was told that I could place a new order and collect this next week. I am leaving on Staurday, so I can not wait for another order.

They said that their "customer direct" team made the error and that as I am unable to wait for a new order they suggested I go next door and buy the CCY from a travel agent.

I think when you call your branch you should be able to speak to someone in your branch. All calls are now diverted to a call centre. It happens to be called "customer direct" I dont find anything direct but quite the opposite. The call centre staff are like robots and don't really understand customers.

Hi Kimmage

Very frustrating, but there is not a lot you can do. It is inconvenient, and your loss is not very great unless you were buying thousands of euro.

You should write a letter of complaint to the branch manager and to head office.

Brendan

I also had a problem, I went into my branch to buy a Sterling draft and was told it would have to be ordered and takes 1-2 days. I wasn't a bit happy as all other banks I've dealt with have sterling drafts available on the spot.
NIB need to pick up the game a bit...

Suggest if you find yourself at a financial loss on this due to perhaps higher commision rates elsewhere for example, that you make a complaint in writing to the bank and ask for the difference to be refunded due to their incompetence. Amount might be small, but it is the principle of the issue that is important

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice - I appreciate this. One thing that did annoy me was the fact that I have an "Easy Plus" account - with this account there should be no commission charged. I suppose thats accounted for on the quarterly fee of 18.75.

I did manage to get the currency from Bank of Ireland today, up the road in O'Connell St. I didnt even have to place an order. They were very nice and indeed helpful.

Back