Niall Crowley's resignation from Equality Authority

Citizens Information cannot provide the advice that was given by the EA, they could advise what the legislation said but that is it. They do not monitor case law or provide any avenue

Just to clarify, this information is not true.

It is not true therefore to broadly state that Citizens Information 'cannot provide the advice given by the EA'. They do, and often go further than this.

Citizens Information provide advice and information to everyone on their rights and entitlements and in addition, provide a range of other services.

These services include the [broken link removed], the [broken link removed], outreach in the community, visits to patients in hospitals and nursing homes, liaison with other agencies and they also accompany people to and acting on behalf of clients with various agencies - for example, the social welfare appeals process, and so on.

Citizens Information also publishes [broken link removed] (on a variety of topics regarding rights and entitlements) on an annual basis which helps facilitate to provide user-friendly information, in accessible formats. These publications are also an alternative to those who do not have access to their online information, or who are unable to visit a centre or who would prefer to read this information for themselves.

The organisation also has a [broken link removed] - which includes making submissions and highlighting anomalies on a variety of social policy topics. In order to this of course, the organisation looks at current procedures, current legislation, case-law, precedent and so on. Court decisions are also examined in the context of providing accurate information for print and online services to inform people of their rights.

It is also therefore not true to say that they 'do not monitor case-law'. Being cognisant of current developments in legislation and in the Courts is key to providing a quality information service.

I have reason in the past on a number of occasions to contact the Equality Authority and found often they were unable to give any more than the basic information on rights.

I do not have any association with Citizens Information - FYI.

CMCR.

Okay then, so every State body and agency that has a strategic plan should be immune from cuts?

Does this include Fás?

This is getting boring, I have already answered your question on two occassions. If a Minister/Department does not like what an agency is doing they can change or not approve their Strategic Plan.

Citizens Information provide advice and information to everyone on their rights and entitlements and in addition, provide a range of other services.

CMCR.

Fine I accept that they can give information but cannot take a case on an individuals behalf to the Equality Tribunal. also, in my experience an organisation like Citziens Informations would get certain information from the agency in question.

This is getting boring, I have already answered your question on two occassions. If a Minister/Department does not like what an agency is doing they can change or not approve their Strategic Plan.

So you do believe then that Fás, HSE and all other State or semi-state bodies with extant Strategic Plans should be immune from cutbacks until their current Strategic Plans expire.

If only private-sector firms could afford that luxury

So you do believe then that Fás, HSE and all other State or semi-state bodies with extant Strategic Plans should be immune from cutbacks until their current Strategic Plans expire.

If only private-sector firms could afford that luxury

No! If a Minister does not like the work/or direction of agency he/she should alter their Strategic Plan until he/she does. This would negate the need to come along later as in te case of the EA with a large budget cutback.

No! If a Minister does not like the work/or direction of agency he/she should alter their Strategic Plan until he/she does. This would negate the need to come along later as in te case of the EA with a large budget cutback.

But what happens if the public finances deteriorate in the meantime and the State hasn't enough funds to commit to previous promises?

But what happens if the public finances deteriorate in the meantime and the State hasn't enough funds to commit to previous promises?

What happens in general and what happened in the specific case of the EA are two different things.

This was an orchestrated attempt to shaft the work of the EA and not simply a reaction to the budgetary situation even if Justice tried to spin it that way.

Why do you say that?

(i) For the reaons I have out lined in this thread, (ii) what I have read elsewhere in print and online, and (iii) the cut to the EA's budget at 43% were in stark contrast to the 2 per cent cut in the Disability Authority's budget, the 1 per cent cut in the Legal Aid Board's funds, and the 9 per cent cut in the Data Protection Commissioner's funds. All of these agencies were under the remit of the Dept. of Justice.

But why then isn't there a similar apparatus to "keep manners on such organisations" in relation to matters like ensuring autistic children get educated properly, HSE waiting lists are dealt with etc?

Just in case anyone missed my response above, the Ombudsman does indeed get involved in such cases. If the complainant feels the need to take legal action, the Legal Aid Board may provide support, though this is means-tested. For the remainder, I really don't know enough about these issues to comment on the necessity or otherwise of such support. But I'm a little confused as to why you're highlighting this point here - Are you suggesting that part of the rationale for the savage cut on the EA was to provide such a service?

I've no idea. I don't really know all that much about what the EA does or how they do it. I'd have thought that those who have concerns might like to get answers to these questions BEFORE they attack the EA, rather than after.