Niall Crowley's resignation from Equality Authority

You have only mentioned one decision...and are fixating on Niall Crowley's media persona whereas I was basing my comments on those decisions which are actual breaches of the legislation which had been investigated. The EA gave legal and other advice in formal and informal settings, there capacity to do this will be greatly reduced due to the budgetary cutbacks. Its is a huge difference for someone to go to the High Court using their own resources than to have a case pursued on their behalf by the EA.

The EA gave legal and other advice in formal and informal settings, there capacity to do this will be greatly reduced due to the budgetary cutbacks.

There is already a multiplicity of agencies providing similar advice and assistance - Citizens Information is only one. There is no reason why one of these bodies can take responsibility for advising people as to their equality entitlements etc.

Its is a huge difference for someone to go to the High Court using their own resources than to have a case pursued on their behalf by the EA.
Yes, but in most cases where people have to take on the State (eg HSE, Revenue etc) in the higher Courts, they have to do it off their own bat. There is no State agency to hold their hand. Why otherwise in this case?

Citizens Information cannot provide the advice that was given by the EA, they could advise what the legislation said but that is it. They do not monitor case law or provide any avenue I am not aware of any other agencies providing similar advice/services to EA. The Ombudsman and Revenue Appeals Office offer avenues to those who have/or wish to pursue a case against the Revenue/HSE.

You still have not provided any further examples of the "ridiculous decisons" you mentioned.

Well, here's another one. When do you want me to stop?

http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=135&docID=726

Anyway, don't take my word for it. Here's what Liam Fay had to say in the Sunday Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5337516.ece

What's to stop the Ombudsman handling equality cases?

Nothing once they have officials who have the aprropriate background and training. You see, if Dermot Ahern wanted to save money he could have suggested this but he didnt he wanted to stop the EA. Although the real story behind this is now emerging....

[broken link removed]

Liam Fay's article is rubbish, there are very few facts and again, like your own points contain no spotlight on the actual results/decisons given by the EA.

The main facts to emerge from Fay's article are that the EA's budget had ballooned in recent years and it was spending large sums of money on dubious campaigns.

The main facts to emerge from Fay's article are that the EA's budget had ballooned in recent years and it was spending large sums of money on dubious campaigns.

The EA is a semi state body under the control of the Dept. of Justice. Every year that body enters into the annual Estimates process with its parent Department. Any increase its received was with the approval of the Dept/Minister of Justice based on its strategic plan which also would have been approved by the Minister. (see link to legislation below).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0021/sec0040.html#zza21y1998s40

If the Minister and/or his officals didn't like the direction of the EA, all, they had to do is not approve its Strategic Plan.

Not exactly a cast-iron guarantee of value for money for the Exchequer

If the Minister and/or his officals didn't like the direction of the EA, all, they had to do is not approve its Strategic Plan.

Or, horror of horrors, cut its Budget? (which is what it did).

Not exactly a cast-iron guarantee of value for money for the Exchequer

Or, horror of horrors, cut its Budget? (which is what it did).

That is a planning process, there are other process's which are meant to oversee value for money. Is there a cast iron guarantee of value for money with any body? There is no suggestion or indeed evidence that the EA was not value for money. It seems ridiculous to me for the Min. Justice to approve a Strategic Plan for 3 years and then cut the budget by 43%. It is obvious that this cut had nothing to do with budgets, and cutting the budget without informing about the rationale is just a cowardly way to operate..

Why would I expect otherwise?
I've no idea, but you seem to expect public bodies to plan their policies and activities around your personal likes and dislikes, rather than (dare I suggest) the views of professionals who spend their entire working lives and in many cases their entire career in that particular sector. Just because you reckon that something is 'ridiculous' does not automatically mean you are right, and they are wrong.
There is already a multiplicity of agencies providing similar advice and assistance - Citizens Information is only one. There is no reason why one of these bodies can take responsibility for advising people as to their equality entitlements etc.
Equality law and practice is an extremely complex area. Suggesting that the functions of the EA are taken over by a body that provides general advice such as the Citizens Information Centres is a bit like saying we don't need accountants because that girl there on the checkout can do the adding up. It doesn't work.

Yes, but in most cases where people have to take on the State (eg HSE, Revenue etc) in the higher Courts, they have to do it off their own bat. There is no State agency to hold their hand. Why otherwise in this case?

The hint is in the name - Equality. Where people are taking these cases, they are taking them from a position of inequality. Provision of a basic level of support and legal advice (for a small number of carefully selected cases) attempts to address this inequality.

What's to stop the Ombudsman handling equality cases?
The Ombudsman deals only with public bodies, and Equality law applies equality to public and private service providers.
Anyway, don't take my word for it. Here's what Liam Fay had to say in the Sunday Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5337516.ece
It is fascinating to see how quickly and easily Liam has lost the revolutionary zeal of his youth to suit his new paymasters at News International. Please let's not kid ourselves that this anything close to independent comment or (god forbid) analysis.
I guess Liam is somewhat embarrassed today now that the real rationale for nobbling the EA/Crowley has become clear.

[broken link removed]

I've no idea, but you seem to expect public bodies to plan their policies and activities around your personal likes and dislikes,

Where did I say that? I did say that about Crowley (as subsequently has Liam Fay) but I most certainly did not generalise beyond this.

Just because you reckon that something is 'ridiculous' does not automatically mean you are right, and they are wrong.
How many times do you feel the need to repeat this red herring?

Do you think that when ordinary citizens found themselves having to take on the likes of the HSE and the Revenue in the High & Supreme Courts thar they are doing so from a position of anything but inequality? Where is the State agency to help them and to take their cases for them?

The Ombudsman deals only with public bodies, and Equality law applies equality to public and private service providers.
Indeed but a large proportion of EA cases were against public bodies.

Just because you don't like what he says.
I guess Liam is somewhat embarrassed today now that the real rationale for nobbling the EA/Crowley has become clear.
I sincerely doubt it. I also think your conspiracy theory lacks credibility.

It seems ridiculous to me for the Min. Justice to approve a Strategic Plan for 3 years and then cut the budget by 43%.

So every State body and agency that has a business plan should be immune from cuts? Does this include Fás?

Where did I say that? I did say that about Crowley (as subsequently has Liam Fay) but I most certainly did not generalise beyond this.
On this thread, where you stated that "Just because someone on AAM supported it, didn't mean it wasn't a ridiculous issue for the EA to campaign on". You may think it ridiculous, but clearly others don't.

Here you go.
Indeed but a large proportion of EA cases were against public bodies.
Less than half of the new cases in 2007 were for Govt depts/state agencies;
Clubs 5
Education 13
Financial & Business Services 13
Government Departments & State Agencies 33
Health 7
Other Services 4
Transport, Storage & Communication 3
Wholesale & Retail 2
Total 80
I sincerely doubt it. I also think your conspiracy theory lacks credibility.
Let's revisit this in a month or so. This one is going to run for a little while yet.

On this thread, where you stated that "Just because someone on AAM supported it, didn't mean it wasn't a ridiculous issue for the EA to campaign on". You may think it ridiculous, but clearly others don't.
you said this already today. Have you forgotten already?

Does the Ombudsman's office finance High Court cases against Revenue, HSE etc? If they do, its news to me.

Were all the education & health cases against the small minority of private operators in either field? I doubt it. If you re-examine your figures, I think you will end up at well over half.
This one is going to run for a little while yet.
We'll see. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Does the Ombudsman's office finance High Court cases against Revenue, HSE etc? If they do, its news to me.
Why would they need to, if they can issue a binding ruling against a complaint through the normal process?
Were all the education & health cases against the small minority of private operators in either field? I doubt it. If you re-examine your figures, I think you will end up at well over half.
Perhaps you didn't realise that most Irish schools are privately owned, whether by a religious body or (like the former CBS schools) by an independent trust. They aren't private in the sense of charging fees, but they are privately operated. Similarly, many of our hospitals are operated by private, independent bodies too.

But perhaps rather than quibbling over whether its more or less than half, you might recognise that there is a significant raft of Equality cases arising in the private sector, where the Ombudsman has no role.
We'll see. Do you know something the rest of us don't?
Well, I think I understand Equality issues for a start.

Why would they need to, if they can issue a binding ruling against a complaint through the normal process?

Well, like it or not, people do find themselves taking High Court cases against bodies like the Dept of Education, the Revenue & the HSE.

Well, like it or not, people do find themselves taking High Court cases against bodies like the Dept of Education, the Revenue & the HSE.

Indeed they do, and the Dept Ed in particular seem to have taken a particularly vindictive approach to pursuit of costs against the losers of such cases, even though that were clearly taken in good faith. All the more reason to have a well-resourced and well-led EA in place to keep manners on such organisations on Equality issues, I'd have thought.

Or is there some other point that you're making about the EA here that I'm missing?

But why then isn't there a similar apparatus to "keep manners on such organisations" in relation to matters like ensuring autistic children get educated properly, HSE waiting lists are dealt with etc?

Or is there some other point that you're making about the EA here that I'm missing?
Now that you mention it, yes there is.

Why did the EA need to employ all of 58 members of staff at the end of 2007? (source EA annual report 2007. http://www.equality.ie/getFile.asp?FC_ID=456&docID=732)

What did they all do all day?

Were they all essential?