NI bank account and exchange rates

glasto

My dad sadly died in February and I am going through probate at the minute. It was held up as we had to wait for post mortem results but the solicitor is currently getting balances etc. I am the sole heir of some cash and half of a co-ownership apartment which I intend to sell asap. Anyway my dad lived in NI and I live in Cork, so when the money is released and the flat sold Iam aware that itmight not be the best idea to put the money straight in my Euro account, especially if the exchange rate is as poor for STG as it is at the minute. Do I need to look into opening a bank account in NI in case the exchange rate is poor when the money is released? Is this going to be difficult? Or is there another way? Any advice much appreciated - I'm not inheriting a huge fortune but I want to make the most of it!

Another thing is the solicitor has told me its £100 to get a valuation of the apartment! This sounds like nonsense to me, and I told her I'd arrange a valuation myself. Does this sound right, or are they trying to gouge me? I already don't trust them as they asked me to make a 600 mile round trip to sign some papers, which they forgot to put in their diary, and then said they could post me the papers to sign! But thats another gripe entirely...

Another thing is the solicitor has told me its £100 to get a valuation of the apartment! This sounds like nonsense to me, and I told her I'd arrange a valuation myself. .

A valuation for a bank (for mortgage purposes) costs about €125 here.

There should be no problem opening an account in NI or you could open a deposit sterling account with the likes of Anglo.

I am going through the same process at present. Trouble with sterling accounts is the derisory interest rates on offer here. I am investigating an Anglo sterling account on Isle Of Man paying 3.5% interest fixed for a year but you also need a sterling account here to transfer the money back into afterwards!