Newcastle United

Yep - my best mate - why what has happened now?

(I'm not into sport at all so apologies if your post is referring to something obvious)

Nothing has happened!

I was just looking for other Newcastle supporters from Ireland.

I was thinking of setting up a Newcastle Irish-run fanclub for the purposes of heading over to matches in St. James Park frequently etc.

Let him know, he might be interested as I know from experience that there are very few Newcastle supporters in Ireland!

wasn't there a nufc fan club that used to meet up in the Halfpenny Bridge Inn years back...

Was there?

I am only in my mid-twenties and have not heard about that one.

For the life of me, I cannot find any Newcastle fan clubs in Ireland.

there definitely was - about 10 years ago... I remember watching nufc v leicester (4-3 to nufc with a shearer hat trick in the last 10 mins.) doubt there's many fans around these days.. .I know a bloke in Tralee who's a fan *G* ... you'd see him wearing the jersey..

Rovers are playing Newcastle United this Saturday in Tallaght Stadium, if you were hoping to meet some other misfortunates who follow them, I'd think it would be a good start to get a ticket and head along. There's a limited number left

I have my ticket for the match on Saturday. I am dragging along my girlfriend and a friend of mine who supports Man Utd. but he will be wearing a Newcastle jersey on Saturday if I have my way!!

I remember the NUFC v Leicester match when Shearer scored the hat-trick in the last ten minutes. That was one of the best matches I have ever seen, I remember watching it live.

As a matter of interest, what is the likely outcome of this match do you reckon?

(Or are NU playing mostly reserves?)

Chris Hughton has brought a mixed squad comprising of first team regulars and reserves.

He plans on giving EVERY player a run out on Saturday and has confirmed that he will use all of his squad including first team players and "unknown" reserve players.

I estimate 3-0 to Newcastle.

Joey Barton will be playing his first match in a black and white shirt since his red-card against Liverpool earlier in the year.

The evening Herald usually has a page of supporters clubs notes one night during the week, covering most major clubs and a lot of smaller ones as well. Not sure what day they have it on

Fair play to ya, Gulliver!

Your taking your girlfriend along to the match reminded me of something that happened when I was in secondary school in Cork in the 70's. One guy in our year was a bit of a philosopher (!) and loved to contemplate life and tease things out. He asked us one day:-

"Lads, if you had an oul doll (girlfriend) and you wanted to get rid of her, but hadn't the courage to break it off with her, what would you do?"

Needless to say, not being men of the world, at that tender age, we all drew a blank.

"What you should do," he continued, "is take her down to The Lodge (Flower Lodge) of a Sunday to see Hibs playing and, I guarantee you, you'll never see her again!"

I sincerely hope you're not playing the same game with an unsuspecting girlfriend, Gulliver......!

The evening Herald usually has a page of supporters clubs notes one night during the week, covering most major clubs and a lot of smaller ones as well. Not sure what day they have it on

It used to be in Thursday's edition...could be Wednesday now tho?

If there's no club at present you could always form one by posting an add and a contact number for like-minded supporters.
Can't be too hard as there's even a Glasgow Rangers supporters club in Dublin

Up to about three years ago there was a N.U.F.C. supporters club. I think the main organiser was based in Swords and I remember they viewing games in The Vaults in Amiens St.
I met a few of them in the Irish Club, Newcastle ( beside St. James Park) about 5 years ago.
I got the impression thet they weren't getting all the cooperation from the club that they should have got especially in relation to tickets. Of course that was the time when Bobby Robson was in charge and they had finsihed in the top three/four and the club had no problem selling tickets

Gulliver, I hope your girlfriend didn't react today like Cork women were supposed to in Flower Lodge in the 70's!

A pity about the result but it looked like a great occasion.

Take a look at this link. It'll cheer you up. Absolutely powerful song and one of my favourites of all time eventhough I have no Newcastle affiliations at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCWCE-41fbY

You'll recognise Mark Knopfler's guitar playing on it. This second link is much better but the first few seconds are missing.

God, I love this song!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtW7N__XulY

I heard a news report on the radio this morn that Charlie Chawke is considering a bid for the club...

I know two season ticket holders who travel over on a regular basis.
Went over a couple of times myself - great city for pubs and restaurants and fun !

Hi all,

We had a great day at the game yesterday - 3-0 to Newcastle. Good result.

On Friday we went to the club hotel and watched Newcastle training, got to meet the players etc. They were all really nice.

I heard that Charlie Chawke and another Dublin publican are considering a bid for the club. I wonder does anyone know whether this is more hot air or not?