Newark versus JFK

killarneyguy

Prob a stupid question but want to travel to New York in new Year for first time..Some flights to Newark airport others to JFK - can some1 please advise on which to take?

newark is in new jersey, and jfk is in new york. Both are about 60dollars in a taxi to downtown new york. They both have shuttle bus services serving new york downtown

You can get the train from Newark. It is quick and relativaly cheap. It drops you right in the city.

I have flown in to both and found Newark better to be honest.

I have been looking into this myself and going by previous posts- the newark connection is serviced by Continental and JFK by Aer Lingus

Continental is supposedly more cramped and a smaller aircraft

The Continental aircraft are narrow bodied...ie you feel every bump of the flight! That said, getting to NY through Newark is definately less hassle, and they have a brilliant train service that gets you from the airport to the centre of NYC in ~30-40 minutes.

As an aside - free wireless broadband in JFK but not the same in Newark. Only a pay option . This was the case in May anyways!

I prefer Newark but since Aer Lingus stopped flying there (after 9/11) I've been using JFK as I generally find Aer Lingus better and cheaper than Continental.

If you are not travelling to NY city then Newark is usually better as you don't have to go though Queens, Manhattan etc.

My last 2 trips to NY have been with Continental. Check seatguru.com for seat pitch and guides depending on aircraft (they say 31 or 32"). Aer Lingus's seat pitch for economy is also 32" (they are not included on setguru but are on airlinequality.com). I'm 6' tall and so am never particularly comfortable on flights but have certainly not noticed a difference between space on continental and Aer Lingus. I found the transfer to Manhatten very easy and fast from Newark - you buy a ticket to NY Penn station in the airport, get the free airport train to Newark Airport Railway station, transfer there and it's about 20 mins on train to Penn Station in Manhatten. Cost is 14 dollars each way.
I like the personal video screens on continental, and the chance to watch CSI or House back to back episodes rather than the movie too!

I think the more important consideration is the price of your flight and the choice of your airline! JFK and Newark each have their advantages; but you'll be on the flight for a lot longer time!

Propman - yes, I suppose I should have said the reason I was on Continental flights in the first place was because they were cheaper and/or suited my onward connections. I did not choose an airline on the basis of the inflight entertainment - that was just a btw addendum!

Back