Newark - 30 mins changeover time?

Round Tuit

I have a changeover in Newark in Nov which, when I booked it, had 1 hr 30 mins for me to make my second flight. Both flights are with Continental, Dublin-Newark, then Newark-San Juan.

When I checked my reservation online yesterday there has been a "scheduling change" and I now have only 30 mins between flights. I've emailed Continental Customer Service to see what they have to say on this but would appreciate opinions/experience of others . . . I'm assuming that I have to collect my bags and recheck them as you usually do in american airports. There's no change in terminal involved. . . . but I'm not sure there's another San Juan flight later that day (their website was playing up when I tried to check).

Re: Newark - 30 mins changeover time??

Realistically you've got little chance of this working out ... even 1h30 mins is pretty tight (it wouldn't be practical on most international arrivals into the US but you'd likely get away with it on a flight from Ireland as you avoid the immigration queues)

I'm assuming you booked this through as one ticket - I think you need to talk to Continental Customer Services as the schedule change has resulted in you ending up on an illegal connection - so they should have some obligation to sort something out for you

You wont make the connection if you have to collect your bags, not in 30 mins. Is the departure flight leaving from the same terminal as the arriving flight? I would think that 30 mins between connections isnt allowed. Contact continental, they should accomodate you since they changed the schedule.

Update:
After a pleasant if very long freefone conversation on the phone with Continental we've worked it out at no expense to me.

I fly 1 day earlier, overnight in Newark at their expense, travel to San Juan on an earlier flight the next day (which they changed for free though technically they didn't have to). My earlier arrival in San Juan now enables me to cancel the 1 overnight I had booked there and change my onward CapeAir flight to Vieques to that evening. I leave a day earlier, have still only got 1 overnight but it's now not costing me and manage to get to my final destination on Fri night instead of Sat am. My blood pressure is now a lot lower - I hate this sort of stuff, I like to organise early and relax!!

Thanks for your comments it made me more sure of my ground had I needed to argue, which fortunately I didn't.

Good stuff from Continental! Well done!

Back