New Zealand

Luckycharm

Well booked my tickets yesterday flying from Sydney to Christchurch end of March for a week. Only going for a week going to stick to South Island, want to go to Queenstown.
Anyone done it recommend a route thinking going straight west and then down the coast doing a circle via queenstown as flying back out of Christchurch. Would I have time to the top of the island or would I be stretching it a bit in a week.
Is it best to rent car/campervan or there any good bus tours not full of pensioners mind.
Any recommendations?

Be warned that the roads in NZ take longer to travel than you might think as they generally wind around mountains, lakes etc..... A campervan is very convenient though as there are plenty of campsites in which to stop.
The other highlight of the South Island for us, apart from Queenstown, was Kaikora where you can swim with dolphins, go whale and seal watching etc.... Nice little town to go with it

I did a 7 day tour of the south island taking in Christchurch, Dunedin, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown,Fox Glacier & then back to Christchurch on the TransAlpine express.
Tour did have a few pensioners but there are other ones done by Contiki etc.
Look up some of their itineraries & it will give you an idea of what you can do yourself in a week. Like previous poster said some of the roads are very mountainous & some of the places - Milford Sound, I think - involved having to totally retrace your steps to go to the main road again.

Our tour went more or less straight down the east side around the bottom & up the west side & then TA straight across back to Christchurch.

The one thing I did miss was Kaikora. Hard to do everything though !
It's a fabulous country.