New Zealand/ Australia with Parents in Law in their 70's in 2007

polo1

Mr Polo and I are thinking of taking his parents who are in their 70's (but fairly fit for their age) to New Zealand and Australia for a 3 wk holiday in Sept 07, using some of our SSIA savings. I was thinking of 2 weeks in New Zealand, as the father is into farming and then a week somewhere in Australia perhaps. Would it perhaps be better if we went to the US for a week and the NZ or is Australia the better option.

Mr Polo and I are not bothered as we have no real interest in either country but know that they would enjoy it.

Do you think the trip would be too much for them? Are we mad even suggesting it to them? What are our options? Is September a good time to go?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, lived in both Australia & NZ and it would be a fabulous trip. My parents, both in their 60's and pretty fit, travelled to visit me in Oz two years ago and in all honesty it took a lot out of them. I was quite shocked when they stepped off the plane after the 24 hour travel. The looked considerably older! It did take them a few days to recover from the travelling.

Would recommend 4 weeks if you can manage it and on the outward journey (or the homeward), break the travel time up by stopping somewhere in Asia.

PM me if you want any specific info on either country.

'Mad to suggest it to them?' - Probably! Both destinations absolutely fab - but far away. I think you need 2-3 days to stop off somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore on outward and return flights, unless flying First class.

September? Might be a little chilly in NZ? November might be better.

Other options: Basque country in South of France - lots of interesting scenery and culture for Farmers.

My in-laws (both now 70, last trip 3 years ago) have done the trip to Australia a number of times but Lauren's right - the plane trip did take a hell of a lot out of them, so the last time they went we insisted they flew business class and it was fantastic for them - they both were able to sleep a good few hours, really nice food (m-i-l is diabetic and they catered specifically for her) - it made for a really good holiday for them. They got off the plane on both ends with practically no jet lag. Also they got to use the Business lounges in Dublin, Heathrow, Singapore and Melbourne which made for the breaks being quite relaxing too.

If Business class is too expensive - try looking at BA's World Traveller Plus option - my wife and I flew to Melbourne on this class a couple of years ago and the extra leg room, pre-allocated seats, extra recline angle, extra baggage allowance made for a good flight too.

I know of a man in his 70's who with his wife also flew business class to Oz in February. They had no trouble with jet lag and had a fanstastic time. I can't remember exactly how much it cost but remember thinking at the time that it wasn't as expensive as I might have thought. Certainly worth looking into. Might also be worth considering going to NZ via the USA and spending a week their on the way over...

Back