new york

hopalong

just reading in daily mail, irish shoppers in new york flash their passports in stores ,to exempt them from sales tax.any info out there fellow shoppers.

If you go down to customer services in Macys (I think its in the basement), ask a "store clerk" and show your passport they give you a card which entitles you to a discount as a tourist.

Macys have this and also a discount card (10% I think) on most goods (except perfumes)....Way to Shop!

Firefly

just back from NYC - Macy Visitor centre on the mezzaine level. show your passport and get 11% discount. If you are going to do some serious shopping it might be worth checking woodbury common. It is a discount centre with all the main brands. You also get discounts there.

just reading in daily mail, irish shoppers in new york flash their passports in stores ,to exempt them from sales tax.any info out there fellow shoppers.

There is no sales tax currently in New York on clothing under 110 dollars and that article is a load of baloney as no such thing exists

...that article is a load of baloney as no such thing exists
The details on it being a reduction on sales tax may be off, but the circa 10% discount is definatly true and easily available. Just had it confirmed by a work mate beside me.

You're dead right...I'm just back as well. Handy thing is, the 11% card is transferable. My girlfriend and my mum got one each. At one stage I was on my own and some guy just lent me his one.
There were some great bargains in Woodbury Common alright. It's more designer brand Hugo Boss/Gucci type stuff...Jersey Gardens is more mainstream.

Anywhere (online) you can get a list of shops where this sort of discount is available?
A few friends going to NY in the new year and I'm sure it'd be appreciated.

Anywhere (online) you can get a list of shops where this sort of discount is available?
A few friends going to NY in the new year and I'm sure it'd be appreciated.
At Woodbury Common you get a sort of coupon book which entitles you to an extra 15% off a lot of stuff. Salespeople will try and trick you into believing it doesn't apply on particualr items but if you hassle them they'll accept it. I got the impression they lose commission if they accept them or gain it if they don't.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7
For Woodbury Common joining the VIP club you can apparently get special discounts not open to anyone else! I'll admit the last time I was there I forgot to bring the voucher thingy and ended up with the regular voucher book that everyone gets in the info office (or maybe they are all the same booklets!)!
The above link is very handy for planning you visit, as its easy to get caught up in an area and miss the stores you wanted to see! I normally print out the plan, highlight the specific store I want to visit, get to them first, and after that do my meandering....

Good point...also however much time you're thinking of allocating to a visit to WC I'd double it! We spent 6 hours there and it wasn't nearly enough.
I'd recommend getting a limo there and back as well. The bus costs $38 dollars a head but it's a hassle. You've gotta get to and from the Port Authority just to get it. Plus you're cramped on a bus with a lot of other shoppers. The limo was $450...$112.50 each. We were able to go back to the driver with bags as we went along which was handy too.
Call me mad but I think it represented great value.

The limo was $450...$112.50 each. We were able to go back to the driver with bags as we went along which was handy too.
Call me mad but I think it represented great value.

You could have rented a car for $50 which would be even better value. Maybe a bit more stress driving it but can be fun.

You could have rented a car for $50 which would be even better value. Maybe a bit more stress driving it but can be fun.
I agree...thought that myself. Was good to do once but now I know the lie of the land car-rental would be ideal. Great road

aerlingus/cheap flights--another rip off.advertising flights for130 euro,when you get to the check you add 60 plus 80 plus handellins fee,costing over 330 euros,any ryanair type carriers operating to boston.

Hi All, I am really interested in chatting to anyone who is in the know about shopping in New York, it's for a new consumer show that I'm working on. Perhaps someone would be so nice to email me directly lisa@visionindependentproductions.com. Just to pick your brain!