New York with kids

carpedeum

We are going to NYC with our kids in August. Yes, we are aware of the humidity, but, we are a hardy bunch and, anyway, we couldn't resist the cheap flights!

Can anybody, who has been there recently with kids suggest restaurants they have experenced at first hand for lunch and dinner. The ages range in age from 7 to 16.

We are reading the usual guidebooks, but, any must do's or must see's again experienced first hand would also be appreciated.

We are staying in the financial district, near Battery Park, but, obviously will be all over Manhattan.

New York is not the dodgy city everyone makes it out to be; just take common sense precuations and you will be fine.

For getting around use a yellow cab; not too expensive and definitely safer than the underground

For big and little kids I'd recommend Ellens Stardust Diner on Broadway - it has a website - singing wait staff AND a train that you can sit in that runs around the top of the restaurant while you eat - great craic. I'd also recommend one of the big Apple Tours on your first day - great for orienting yourself and one of the stops is near Battery Park. I wouldn't be bothered about cabs during the day, the subway is fine, or a daylong bus ticket is good value and means you can look out the window while you travel.

speirbhean said:
For big and little kids I'd recommend Ellens Stardust Diner on Broadway - it has a website - singing wait staff AND a train that you can sit in that runs around the top of the restaurant while you eat - great craic. I'd also recommend one of the big Apple Tours on your first day - great for orienting yourself and one of the stops is near Battery Park. I wouldn't be bothered about cabs during the day, the subway is fine, or a daylong bus ticket is good value and means you can look out the window while you travel.

Or you could do a lot of your sightseeing on foot,which in my opinion is the best as you can go at your own pace.

Back