New York with 1 year old?

CD2005

Hi,
Have been to new york a few years ago, before children!!! and fancy going back again when bab's is just gone 1, ie thanksgiving and sales time!!!
Just wondering if anyone has travelled with little ones to new york and how child frendly they found it....

Thanks

PS, any possitive experiences can you recommend a hotel?

New York is child friendly enough, having said that do you really want to be traipsing around shops with a one year old in tow.

New York is child friendly enough, having said that do you really want to be traipsing around shops with a one year old in tow.

At 1 they'd really be too young to appreciate it and the flight over with a one year old is unlikely to be much fun.

They say travelling with Kids is best when they are younger than 6 months and older than 3/4. I'd agree with that. Depends on the child though, some are easier than others.

After recently travelling with my one year old, I would strongly advise you to leave babs at home! At this age they are probably finding their feet and have no interest or intention in staying in a buggy/high chair etc. After my 'holiday' I felt as if I was after finishing an extreme endurance test! But that's just my opinion!!

1yr olds are at their most tempermental as they want to be moving around a lot and getting stuck into everything. For them to be stuck in a buggy all day, is a nightmare. For your own sanity, I wouldn't
We travelled to Paris with aour 1yr old a good few yrs back and chalked it down as the most stressful holiday we ever had

Thanks for the replies, dont think i'll risk it! As you said it's not really a holiday for keeping a baby amused!!

I have to respond to the comments recommending not to take a toddler to the states. I have a 15 month old daughter and she will be going on her 9th foreign holiday next month. I work for an airline so my family and I fly for next to nothing so we go away quite often.

She went to Majorca when she was 2 months old and since then she has been to Marbella, Lanzarote, Majorca 3 more times, Dubai, Rome, Portugal and Bali.

Next month we are flying with British Airways to New York via Heathrow. We chose BA because they provide cots for babies up to 2 years old to sleep in. We are are then flying down to Miami for a weeklong Carribean Cruise, then 5 days in Miami and 3 days in Disney World.

Mine and my wife's opinion is that wherever we go, she comes to. We wouldnt want to burden any of our family with leaving her with them even though they offer, and also as we would miss her too much!

Yes our nightlife will be hindered, sacrifices of certain activities have to be made and she wont remember any of these trips when she is older, but we come as a trio and I hope for it to stay like that until she is going off on her Leaving Cert holiday with her pals!!

Nice post.

Depends on the child. We could travel easily with our 2nd but not our first. The 2nd was just much easier to manage because of their temperment.